What is jailbroken

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by willie5094, Mar 23, 2009.

1. willie5094

willie5094 New Member

Excuse my ignorance but what is jailbroken, just got a new Ipod touch and everyone seems to be talking about it, please help.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_(iPhone)

My 2 cents:

In a nutshell, jailbreaking is the process of installing a custom built firmware that has broken Apple's security protocols to allow you to access system files. It's main use is to allow you to install third-party applications not authorised by Apple through systems such as Cydia. This allows you access to a new genre of functioanlity such as copy & paste, backgrounding applications, theming etc...

For a good write up on the advantages of jailbreaking see here. The downside is that it invalidates your warranty (though your device can be restored to factor settings thus effectively 'reversing' this issue) and over the longer term could possibly decrease the life-span of your device as jailbreaking can increase the pull on the battery and internal components more than Apple intended.

Currently jailbreaking provides obvious pluses but with the advent of many new features in the 3.0 OS the advantages of jailbreaking are diminishing.
  3. willie5094

willie5094 New Member

Thanks for the info Studangerous a bit more savvy now on jailbroken will have a look at your link on the advantages, maybe will try it when warranty expires.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty - as I said you can always restore it to 'factory settings'. However if you do physically damage it and cannot restore and so take a jailbroken (un-restored) device back to Apple there's a chance that they won't exchange it. However a lot of people state that Apple's policy has been to allow one jailbroken exchange per-purchase (though don't quote me on this as it seems to vary from store to store and there's no solid evidence to back up this supposition).
  5. darktwinkle

darktwinkle New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. willie5094

willie5094 New Member

The big question is how do I jailbreak my Ipod.
  7. wammybar6

wammybar6 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    google 'quick freedom and Find the second one I think. Its a program that does everything for you.
  8. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes quick freedom is the best program to jailbreak your ipod touch 2G with firmware 2.2.1. just find a youtube vid. there is a really good one out there. and follow the instruction. it will safe you a lot of problems!
  9. willie5094

willie5094 New Member

Many thanks for everyone help and info, all gratefully appreciated....