What is jailbreaking (please read completely)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Mankster, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Mankster

Mankster New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would like to know what jailbreaking is to the full extent, how to install applications, the cautions, etc.

If I have missed a link somewhere please forgive me, I have looked on Google and other search engines and haven't found anything.

Thanks for your help.
  2. ipodtouchlover

ipodtouchlover New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    jailbreaking is some thing that allows you to copy and delete things with ease and allows you to install 3rd party apps and also allows you to add the iphone apps eg. maps mail notes and more
  3. Mankster

Mankster New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah, I know all that, but I would like to have all the info on it. Every single bit.
  4. yoyoyo

yoyoyo New Member

Think of jailbreaking as basically making your iPod touch like your computer. Before you jailbreak your iPod touch is locked down (like a cellphone). After you jailbreak you will have full read/write access to your touch and the ability to install applications. But this also exposes you to more dangers such as viruses.
  5. touchpod

touchpod New Member

^ When you said exposes you to viruses, do you mean viruses you get from downloading programs onto the ipod? Or could regular internet/computer viruses now infect your ipod after the jailbreak? It is hard to explain what i mean. Basically you just mean viruses you get from apps you install right? Also what other dangers are there?
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

See the noob dictionary in the wiki. It gives you a basic definition.
  7. touchpod

touchpod New Member

Anyone that can help?
  8. imadhdpositive

imadhdpositive New Member

noobs cant help beings noobs, at least he did some research first.

you can get viruses from basically any file. the "installer" application that appears on your ipod after you jailbreak it will be your source for most of what you put on your ipod in terms of programs (probably all of them actually). You can add sources to the installer, adding more applications that you can download. If you add a sketch source then you can get a virus this way. It seems to me that if you don't add any sources than the ones provided you aren't going to run into any viruses.

and anything you send to your ipod, whether via SSH or uploading it to the internet, will risk naturally put your ipod at risk for viruses.