What is Jailbreaking? Answers for Complete Beginners

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by CharlzXD, Nov 17, 2009.

1. CharlzXD

CharlzXD New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So First things First:

What Exactly is Jailbreaking:
    Jailbreaking is when a program or series of programs is used to modify an Iphone or Ipod Touch. Meaning that Non-apple Approved applications can be installed and run on the Iphone/Ipod Touch. So in theory you could code your own iphone program and put it on your idevice, if you had the know-how to do so

Please Register or Log in to view images

So Jailbreaking is ideal for Running applications you want to use but haven't been Approved by apple.

Why Should I Jailbreak?
    Jailbreaking has endless possibility's, From playing homebrew games, improving the User interface of the ipod and theming it with custom backgrounds and icons, hell there are even console emulators on Idevices such as Super Nintendo and Gameboy Advance, with n64 just around the corner

Now you may be thinking, OMG I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT!!!11!

But do not fear: The jailbreaking community is MASSIVE and there will be lots of people to help you through whatever you want to do with your freshly Jailbroke Idevice.

Whats the Difference between Unlocking And Jailbreaking?
    Unlocking is when you Enable your IPhone to be unlocked from whatever network it is stuck on, eg.you buy an iPhone from AT&T and you want to ditch your AT&T plan and start using Vodaphone, well you would be buggered because most companies lock the Iphone so it is only usable on their network. Unlocking solves this problem.

Jailbreaking is purely for putting non-apple approved applications on your Iphone/Ipod touch.

Is Jailbreaking Dangerous?
    There has been Massive debate as to whether or not Jailbreaking Disadvantages an ipod in anyway, but None of these issues have any real grounding whatsoever.

The one thing that you have to watch out for is that while your Idevice is jailbroken your warranty with apple is void.

Although Jailbreaking is easily undo-able and can be restored to normal via iTunes in a matter of minutes. So if you need to call upon the warranty just restore your Idevice and the warranty is usable again.

Hells Yeh Lets Jailbreak this sh*t up
    So you've decided to Jailbreak: well theres a few thing you must know first.

1.) You need to have a solid grip on using a computer. if your new to computers (lol a bit late) or just a light user i would suggest gaining more experience before attempting to Jailbreak.

2.) A fair bit of effort will need to be put into the Jailbreaking proccess, although most Jailbreaking programs have step by step guides, it may take a while your first time doing it.

3.) If you stuff your jailbreak up and something goes wrong with your iDevice on do-not worry. Its most likely easily fixable and in the extremely rare case that your iDevice becomes unusable, you can always call up the warranty

Tutorials:

All Ipod Touches and All iphones:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253736
    Note: you must have the latest firmware (3.1.2) for the above tutorial to work.

If your an Ipod touch 3g User note that the only a tethered jailbreak has been released, meaning that every time you turn your ipod off or it runs out of power you need to re-jailbreak.

Heres some threads for further reading:

Reccomended Jailbreak applications: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166179

Another one on Great Jailbreak only applications:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169845

Once Jailbroken you can view the files in your ipod In a windows explorer style fashion. Heres a guide on how to do so:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9978

Please tell me anything i have missed, or suggest something that would improve the thread.
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thank you. You've really helped me out.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And uh... if my blatant sarcasm wasn't enough, the iPod touch 3G is jailbreakable. You must research your topic before you write about it.

Trust me, I know. Its sitting here looking at me.
  3. CharlzXD

CharlzXD New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanx Man

Oh and can u Just use Black rain for the 3g's?
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah, blackrain will work for the 3G's. Just mention that it is tethered, at this point.
  5. hazardc0r3

hazardc0r3 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iTouch jail = Being allowed to only use Apple approved Applications and only the options and settings given.

life out of iTouch jail = the ability to use Applications that weren't approved, ability to customize beyond the already given options and settings, basically Freedom.
  6. Childofgod

Childofgod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Can one of the admins please sticky this?
  7. iOwnxD

iOwnxD New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    never ask a thread to be stickied. if a mod likes it he'll sticky it.
    good job though.
  8. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Awesome thread. This will help a lot of noobs. I hope a Mod will sticky this

9. yuyaera

yuyaera Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd be glad if it does. Stop with the useless threads.
  10. CharlzXD

CharlzXD New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanx guys

Yeh i thought i would just make it because theses are the things that i had trouble understanding when i started