What is jailbrake?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by HuntingtonBeachBadBoy, Mar 29, 2008.

1. HuntingtonBeachBadBoy

HuntingtonBeachBadBoy New Member

New to the Ipod touch.

thanks
  2. Redshift

Redshift New Member

It enables read/write access to the file system. Therefore, you're capable of modifying your touch to your liking (installing apps, ect).
  3. Katsuro

Katsuro New Member

I found your boards today and didn't had much time to read in much. How "dangerous" is it to jailbreak an ipod touch?
    Can it turn my ipod into an expensive piece of good looking junk or is it save?
  4. 13yearoldbaldnerd

13yearoldbaldnerd New Member

You generally have to restore a lot more.
    It also voids your warranty, but if you restore, all traces of jailbreaking disappear.

I don't think it is possible to brick an iPod Touch, but I could be wrong...
    Assuming you don't put in some stupid command.
    Which you won't do probably.
  5. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

The only people to ever brick an iPhone/iPod touch are the people who:
    a) Upgraded firmwares back in the day and got put into "lockdown_state". Not really brick, but not working.
    b)Developers who made a typo while programming unlock and jailbreak methods. That doesn't happen all that often either.

Just jailbreak it. You'll be fine.
  6. Katsuro

Katsuro New Member

Alrighty. Thanks guy for taking time to explain that. I start reading me into this topic now

Please Register or Log in to view images

See you on the better site soon then.
  7. lrg32shots

lrg32shots Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well as many people on here will tell you....You can't brick your ipod touch, although the iphone is a different story.
    Personally I think it is necessary to jailbreak the ipod touch just because there are so many apps and cool stuff you could do to it.
    I too was skeptical of doing it to mine just because there were those what if's

So just to clear up some stuff for you

-No you can't brick the ipod touch(again)
    -It does void your warranty if you bring/send it to apple all jailbroken. Just restore it to factory settings before you show it to anyone from apple, That way they'll never know you did anything to it.
    -you could jailbreak all firmwares now
    -Its totally safe and reversible if anything bad happens (Ex spinning wheel of death)

I've jailbroken over 20 ipots of all firmwares.....w/out any serious problems. But whenever I get stuck, I post on this site and all these awesome people here respond....FAST.

Well goodluck and if this helped at all, hit a brotha up with some +rep.
  8. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

ya, it just opens your ipod's flash drive to let 3rd party software and/or apps in.
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Unless you run some sudo Terminal commands, you'll be fine. So if your favorite sport is sumo wrestling and you accidently might mistype "sumo" as "sudo" in terminal, then I suggest you don't jailbreak.

Joking, LOL. JB is safe. Anything you do, you can fix by restoring basically.
  10. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

I've ran "sudo rm -rf /" and everything worked pretty well. Applications crashed and stuff, but the Springboard still ran. I guess I didn't delete the second partition.

You cannot brick yourself whilst in the OS. The bootloader and pre-OS things are totally different from the firmware.