what is firmware?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by ragingtofu, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ragingtofu

ragingtofu New Member

hey, can anybody help me with finding firmware so i can get summerboard? im confused with the installer
    2 people like this.
  2. Redshift

Redshift New Member

3. Aurongel

Aurongel Banned

"Firmware" is a term given to the type of system your' iPod Touch or iPhone runs on, there are currently 4 public firmwares.

1.1.1 - the first true firmware, this one is the easiest to hack
    1.1.2 - the second update, includes bug fixes and assorted fixes
    1.1.3 - includes more fixes, improved Music Player volume, and wiggly home screen icons
    1.1.4 - The latest public firmware, not much added, bug fixes, a few other fixes

When a newer firmware comes out, it will be available for download and installation through iTunes, each new firmware brings bug fixes, and additions and modifications of the sort...

To find what firmware your iPod Touch or iPhone is, then simply go to the home screen, select Settings, then General, then about, and check the firmware section

I hope my post has helped you, please use the search function before you post next time okay

Please Register or Log in to view images

?

P.S.--I frown upon all you people calling him a "noob", we should encourage newcomers to the forums, instead of shunning them...
    2 people like this.
  4. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

I think of it as an update to the OS.
    1.1.1 was just the starting point of ipod os x. 1.1.2, 3 and 4 are just updates. It's just like service packs for xp. Most firmwares are just bug fixes. But 1.1.3 brought out a new dock (the iphones) and the wiggly icons and the jan. software update (iphone apps..rip off!) anyway hope this helped you.
    1 person likes this.
  5. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Here's a thought, how about instead of yelling at the guy to search or calling him a noob, you help him out? Guess what, it takes just as much effort to post an answer as it does to post an asinine sarcastic comment. The point of this forum is to help each other out!

Firmware, according to Wikipedia:

Firmware has evolved to mean the programmable content of a hardware device, which can consist of machine language instructions for a processor, or configuration settings for a fixed-function device, gate array or programmable logic device.
    A common feature of firmware is that it can be updated post-manufacturing, either electronically, or by replacing a storage medium such as a socketed memory chip.
    Firmware may expose an externally accessible interface. For example, in some modem implementations the firmware is not directly accessible, but is part of a combination of hardware and firmware that responds to commands from the host system.
    Firmware has traditionally been stored in ROM, however cost and performance requirements have driven component vendors to adopt various replacements, including non-volatile media such as EEPROM and Flash, or SRAM solutions, such as the firmware loaded by an operating system device driver.

Most devices attached to modern systems are special-purpose computers in their own right, running their own software. Some of these devices store that software ("firmware") in a ROM within the device itself. Over the years, however, manufacturers have found that loading the firmware from the host system is both cheaper and more flexible. As a result, much current hardware is unable to function in any useful way until the host computer has fed it the requisite firmware. This firmware load is handled by the device driver.
    Firmware in many devices can now be updated without the need for additional hardware, often through the use of vendor-provided software.

In some respects firmware is as much a software component of a working system as the operating system. However, unlike most modern operating systems, firmware rarely has a well evolved mechanism for updating itself to fix bugs and addressing functionality issues that are detected after the unit is shipped.
    The easiest firmware to update is typically the system boot-related firmware, such as the BIOS in PCs. Some devices, such as video adapters and modems, frequently rely on firmware that is loaded dynamically by the operating system device driver, and thus is updated through the operating system update mechanisms entirely transparent to the user.
    In contrast, storage device firmware is rarely updated with the same consistency as other parts of the system. Further, the mechanisms for detecting firmware versions and updating them are not standardized. As a result, these devices tend to have a significantly higher percentage of firmware-driven functionality issues, as compared to other parts of a modern computer system.

Hopefully that helps!

And I did see this was linked to in a post above, but I figured since firmware is such an integral facet of the iPod Touch, it would be apropos to have a written definition on the forum, instead of just a link.
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    @mikesgroove-When in Rome do as the Roman's do! You make a terrible 12 yr old!

7. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

lol

Thank you, thank you very much...
  8. aftershock68

aftershock68 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow. How terribly wrong you are, 1.1 was the first for the iPod touch. The iPhone started with 1.0.
  9. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

It's Like, An OS, The Numbers Are The Versions Of The OS..

That's How I Will Explain It, Wikipedia Is Your Friend
  10. add45

add45 New Member

I kinda feel bad now that i see he has a sad face next to his question