What is firmware?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EugeneO, Oct 12, 2008.

1. EugeneO

EugeneO New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I did a search for this and was unsuccessful. I know most if not all of you know this however I am a newbie so please educate me.
    What is firmware? I have seen many discussions about the different versions and I have no clue what they are talking about. Thank you for your help and understanding.
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Firmware is the kind of software that runs on the iPod touch and many other devices.
    The higher the firmware version the more features the iPod contains.
    iPod touch firmware 2.1 is the current version for the 1G and 2.1.1 is the current version for the 2G.
    Here is a list of the firmware that runs the iPod touch and the iPhone.
  3. batman27returns

batman27returns Banned

Firmware is what your iPod is "running" on i guess and what everything is made of. If u go into the settings thing it should say 2.1.1, that's your firmware.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    It's basically the software/os the iPod/iPhone runs on.
  5. EugeneO

EugeneO New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thank you

Thank you to all that replied. I thought it was kind of a os for iPod. Thank you for confirming. You've been a great help!
  6. Xyklok

Xyklok New Member

it would have taken less time to simply go on wikipedia to get all your answers then to type your message
  7. zwaldowski

zwaldowski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Let's talk less specific to the iPod, since it is used on almost all technical devices.

Software is the programming that runs on top of an operating system. It usually has not access to hardware. Hardware is the device itself, with all these accesses and points and such.

Still with me? Now visualize this... what's the in between of soft and hard? How about firm?

Firmware is the programming that runs directly on top of the hardware. The firmware is a little bit of software stored in a flash chip on a device that interacts with software and hardware. In fact, with computers, the firmware plays interference between the operating system and the hardware.

Since mobile devices really have no operating system to speak of, the firmware is what you see that directly utilizes the hardware. For example, on non-Touch iPods, all you ever use is the firmware.

Hope you know now.

Okay, so how does this play into the iPod Touch and iPhone? These devices have both firmware and the iPhone OS, but Apple refers to this combo collectively as firmware.
  8. JAD

JAD New Member

Nice explanation, well done. It never occured to me to explain hard vs. soft vs firmware in quite that way.

Please Register or Log in to view images