What is a jailbreak and what will it mean?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by craynerd, Jan 15, 2009.

1. craynerd

craynerd New Member

Hi
    Sorry couldn,t search as you can imagine searching jb brings up millions!

I want to know what a jb means? I understand what a propriatory system is and realize apple imposes certain locks, but what sort of things does a jb open up. Sorry for the nievety, I,m really asking for literal answers - I know you can then use installer but how does that help? I'll be honest, I just don't really know how a jb will help and I love my ipt2g as it is and everyone seems so excited and I do to - I don't really know why!!!
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    ok

www.google.com

type

define:jailbreak

theres your answer.

or... www.wikipedia.com

search jailbreak.... and you get... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_(iPhone)

A jailbreak is the act or tool used to perform the act of breaking out of a chroot or jail in UNIX-like operating systems or bypassing digital rights management (DRM). It is a specific form of privilege escalation. In the context of the IPhone, it allows the user to run arbitrarily defined code or applications, bypassing Apple's code distribution mechanism (the ITunes App Store and the ITunes Application).

The iPhone, and iPod touch have repeatedly been subject to jailbreaks, allowing the execution of arbitrary code, but have had those jailbreaks disabled by vendor updates.[1] [2] The iPod Touch/iPhone hacking community however, responds to the newest vendor updates by creating new ways to enable third party apps almost immediately.

The popularity of iPhone jailbreaking in turn popularized the term "jailbreak": for example, in early 2009, more Google-indexed Web pages mention the word in relation to the iPhone (3,140,000) than in any other context (e.g. prison escapes) (2,230,000). According to archive.org, the first DRM-related definition of the term jailbreak was added to the "Urban Dictionary" in December 2007 and referenced the recently released iPhone.[3]
  3. Evostance

Evostance Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  4. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Jailbreaking your iPod allows the installation of third party, non apple-signed applications. It also allows you to fully customize your iPod with backgrounds and themes. It basically takes away all the restrictions apple imposed.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    people these days....
  6. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    These threads make me mad.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    guys ive posted a very clear and good definition from wikipedia, no need to keep posting definitions xD His question has been answered, lets not turn this into another "flame at the noob" thread

Please Register or Log in to view images

edit: owch that sounds a bit mod-wannabe-y :\
  8. fusion324

fusion324 New Member

wannabe mods are a disgrace to this forum xD
  9. craynerd

craynerd New Member

No, go ahead and flame the noob. There is a core of cranium heads on here posting for the sake of it. I ask a question specifically saying what does it mean as a new ipod user and some arse posts a wiki link- yea great answer, boosts your post count! Then has the arogence to post to tell people not to reply and they have answer the question well.

One good answer here- cheers costergoi - hitman go get your 2180 post on someone elses thread.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I,m trying to say I've had an ipt2g since Xmas, my first iPod and it is fab- I just want to know what extra a jb will allow me to do.
  10. iTuchChris

iTuchChris New Member