What is a good app to read PDF ebooks?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by crazlunatic, Mar 22, 2008.

1. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

I'm looking for a good app that can read pdf ebooks without conversion. This is because after conversion, the colors and designs are distorted.

I also want it to have some features like remembering the page, changing font size and style, etc. Is there such thing?

I've heard good things from Books.app but it can't read .pdf
  2. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

bump post =)
  3. morgantown

morgantown New Member

yeah, if you find out I really want to know too! I found ebooks from this source:

brandonsgames.com/chriss/index.xml

which are really good books (Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes, etc.) but they won't appear in Books app even when I download them. Can anyone help?
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For PDFs, you'd don't have many options - PDFviewer or if you want you can setup the internal PDF reader to work with a local webserver. Doesn't matter though since neither will save pages/bookmarks which can be quite a pain.

Books.app is great, but only reads TXT or HTML. As to the note about the source listed above, the guy who setup that source hasn't updated it in quite a while. In earlier versions of the firmware, all the documents/files were stored under the root user. Now they're stored under the mobile user. If you've installed books from that source, you can manually move them using WinSCP (Windows) or CyberDuck (Mac) - you'll find them in /var/root/Media/EBooks and they need to be in /var/mobile/Media/EBooks
  5. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

So you'd just use PDFViewer? I'm currently not using the Apache method, but the other one where you type 127.0.0.1 for a list of pdfs.

The thing is the pdfs are missing pictures!
  6. Hmerly

Hmerly New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The best thing to do, while we are without a decent pdf book reading program, is to convert the pdf file to html and using the ebook program. Otherwise you don't really have any other practical option. Just do a google search for pdf => html converters, there's bound to be one somewhere.
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No idea why your PDFs would be missing pictures - I've read Touch Magazine on my iPod Touch using PDFviewer (pictures and all) with no problem...
  8. dpdpdp

dpdpdp New Member

pdfviewer
  9. crazlunatic

crazlunatic New Member

I can't seem to install this on my 1.1.4
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Try again later, and make sure you've installed the Community Sources package, which includes links to most of the major repositories. I've installed it on 1.1.4, but it's... kinda useless, really - no rotation, the buttons at the bottom are useless, the zoom's kinda rough, and it's impossible to change pages except by opening up the bottom bar to move things along - you can't just 'swipe' to the next page yet.

As it notes in the installer, it's an alpha version - and needs a lot more work. But it does open up large PDF's (over 10MB), which Safari has so far refused to do, and renders them quickly.