What if 1.1.2 won't let you factory restore a jailbreak Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PCKid, Nov 6, 2007.

1. PCKid

PCKid New Member

Is it likely that if you, at some later stage, want to restore your Ipod Touch to factory settings that you may not be able to do so from the Apple site with 1.1.2 or later? I'm downloading a copy of 1.1.1 just in case. Then how do you restore from your own backup file? Can your Touch find it on your harddrive?
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I have been wondering the same thing. I have the 1.1.1 file. Will we able to drop it into an Itunes directory and restore to 1.1.1??

With the psp, new firmware made it impossible to go back to old firmware without a new hack. Everytime new firmware comes out, we have to wait until it is hacked to update. It usually doesn't take long.
  3. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

from another post, "To do that just connect to iTunes then hold down the shift key at the same time press the restore button. You will see a new window allowing you to navigate to where you saved the 1.1.1 firmware, choose it and click OK."
  4. Rawd

Rawd New Member

This is interesting. Is it confirmed?
  5. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Yes........
  6. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Ok, this seems great and easy enough. But couldn't apple put something into 1.1.2 that makes it impossible to go back to 1.1.1 ? Just my paranoid thinking.
  7. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes Apple could make this difficult or impossible to recover from but then they would just get a rash of Warranty returns which they would have to fix.

I think they just want to make it difficult enough to scare off the casual user who shouldn't be Jailbreaking their iPod in the first place. I suspect they are also concerned that someone will JB the unit and reverse engineer the product. It's not like the Chinese haven't already dont that...LOL

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

lol.. pacific mall, anyone?

Please Register or Log in to view images

(toronto peeps)

yeah i highly doubt they will want to brick touches.. handful of potential lawsuits as well.
  9. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Well, the reason Sony fights the hackers is because they have to look out for the game publishers..

The reason Apple fights the hackers with the IPHONE, is because they are looking out for AT&T.

The reason Apple MAY fight the ipod touch hackers is if the hackers find a way to copy i-Tunes purchased music from Ipod to Ipod. Anyone tried sending a purchased song through the new "share" feature on "sendsong" app?
  10. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

dont forget 3rd party apps coming in feb.. will they be sold on itunes?