What happens when I update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mateo, Oct 10, 2009.

1. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have a 2.1 fw jailbroken ipod touch first gen. I want to update it to the 3.1 software so that I can have the new features, and app compatibility. What will happen to my jailbroken apps? Will they be erased, will they cease to function? Will they work? Will I be able to remove them via cydia and Icy? should I delete all my apps before I upgrade? And I did search around before posting, I couldnt find an answer.

EDIT:

well, since no one's answering, and I really want to try the new software (especially since dropbox and bejive im work for it), I'll just do it and see what happens. A lot of help this forum has been.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You waited an hour...

Your jailbroken apps will all be erased. You can try restoring to a custom 3.1.1 firmware file. that will erase everything, but you will be jailbroken and can reinstall everything.
  3. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, It's already updating... I guess I'll use redsn0w or quickpwn or watever to re-jailbreak it later. It's going to be a b*tch getting NES and my roms back...
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you can't get 3.1.1 jailbroken unless you use a custom 3.1.1 firmware made by PwnageTool. You have to be on jailbroken 3.0 and restore in Recovery Mode to 3.1.1 custom.
  5. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, its a good thing you told me that, because I am running 3.0 (or 3.0.1 or something) I just got prompted to download and install 3.1.1, and I was about to apply it. Also, one thing I didn't think about is that now my perfectly cough cough legal pricy apps don't work! actually none done did until I applied the updates. Now the free ones work, but the cough expensive ones I cough paid for don't work... I guess I'll just have to get them all back...

Anyway, where can I get this custom firmware?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    oh crap, whilst I was writing this, I looked down and saw my ipod updating. I'm not used to stuff updating on its own... I figured I'd let the .ispw file finish downloading, as I might need it later, and now its automatically updating.... Oh well, thanks for you help stickman

EDIT:

Godammit! Just as I was worried, 911mb of "other" are left on my ipod! all my jailbroken apps are still there, only now I can't use them or even delete them. f*** now like 15% of my ipod is unusable with information I can neither use nor delete...