What features would make u pay $20 for the update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by scmaruthi, Jan 16, 2008.

1. scmaruthi

scmaruthi New Member

Hey guys...
    I don't mind paying that much for the iPod Touch update as long as it would include some cool new additions...not for some dumb apps which dont work without Wifi (with exception of Notes).What are webapps for ?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Basics(Which Should have been free)
    1. Copy-Paste Feature..
    2. Open in New Window (for safari Tabbed Browsing)
    3. Multi-Tasking(Like Alt+Tab in windows or a long hold of menu in Symbian Fones)
    4. Built-in Theme Support..
    5. Volume Control,Shuffle & Repeat in Cover-Flow(Basically Full acess in Cover-Flow)

Things that could have been Paid For
    1. Flash Support in Safari(I want more than just YouTube)
    2. Stream Over Wifi/Remote Access(Now with the announcement of Time Capsule)
    3. Disk-mode (Windows USB Access to the touch's HFS+ Drive)

What are ur opinions?Think u can think up of some other nice features that could be added to the iPod Touch
  2. lvlln

lvlln New Member

At this point, I would not pay for anything Apple released. The iPod Touch is their handheld iPod product, and we as consumers should expect that the company activate everything the hardware is capable of out-of-the-box, or at least with no extra payment. I know another company, Archos, also charges for features that should've been included in the first place with their PMPs, but at least they're upfront about it; when you buy, you know exactly what you are getting and what you won't be getting if you don't pay extra.

I think your post brings to light something that's been shoved under the rug due to all the hubub regarding Apple's stupid decision to charge to activate apps. Which is that the iPhone and the iPod Touch STILL DON'T HAVE COPY+PASTE (or any of the other basic stuff you listed)! If Apple really wants to convince us that the iPhone and iPod Touch are platforms where we should pay for software and more than just a poor music/video playing device that happens to have wifi and a touchscreen, then they need to get on board with these very basic features that are simply required in order to make it a useful device.
  3. scmaruthi

scmaruthi New Member

Yea..I guess your right but this was hypothetical...No-one would or should be paying for Firmware Updates.
  4. LegitHK

LegitHK Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    ...not entirely true, Apple is giving the firmware update for free, all they're putting a price tag on is the 5 extra apps. Only problem with that is that these apps weren't even designed specifcally for the iPoT, they're just ports from the iPhone. Apple SHOULD NOT be charging any money for a pack of 5 apps, in which 4 of them you can't even use unless you're in range of a wireless network, which, for me, would be at home...where i'd rather use my computer to check my e-mail and look up driving directions...or check the stock market