What external GPS to buy?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pisaman2, Jan 25, 2010.

1. pisaman2

pisaman2 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I just downloaded the xGPS app and was wondering what GPS i should buy to go with my iPod. Does anyone have any recommendations? The only requirements are that it is relatively cheap and that it actually works with iPod touches

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. kongfused

kongfused New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I bought the TomTom GPS cradle. $99 bucks directly from the Apple store. Charges your iPod Touch while docked.

Must use the 12v to USB cable included. The GPS takes a lot of power and won't be functional without it.

Works real well with Navigon. My favorite GPS turn by turn app.
  3. pisaman2

pisaman2 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That sounds pretty good. I assume you charge the gps and then you just connect it up with the ipod and go.

Thanks
  4. kongfused

kongfused New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    This GPS requires it to be powered by external power. It cannot get power from the iPod touch.

It's a standard mini usb port on the cradle. Included is a 12V to mini usb converter for your car.

If you're going to be wanting to walk around with this, you're going to need to get creative. The GPS requires external power to link up to the satellite. I've put my Macbook Pro in standby and used a usb cable to hook to the cradle to gain external power. Not an elegant solution at all, but it works. I carry a Macbook pro in a saddle bag or backpack with the cable coming out of the top to power the GPS. Now you have walkaround GPS. Assuming that your laptop battery holds a charge fairly well, it should last for a while. The GPS doesn't take that much power to run.