What exactly SHSHs and what do they do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dagr8est, Sep 8, 2010.

1. dagr8est

dagr8est Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I think they are also known as blobs. Sorry if that's a noob question, but I honestly have no clue what they are because I went a while without jailbreaking my iPod Touch 2g. Can someone please explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Think of them as signatures your device needs to restore to a firmware. Apple signs them until a new firmware comes out, then you can't restore to an earlier firmware unless you saved the signature while you could.
  3. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay.
    Imagine you want to Update or restore your iPod okay? Now iTunes downloads this, and you have your iPod connected. When the downloading is complete, iTunes sends an request to Apple, asking if it is "okay" to put firmware "X" on your iDevice "Y", if Apple accepts it, they send a SHSH Code, which is individual for each device. This code allows iTunes to install the Firmware to the device. iTunes does not save this code, just the Apple Servers, Cydia and TinyUmbrella. Now after a Time, Apple might decide they don't want people to go to that Firmware, so they stop the server from giving out SHSH's for that firmware. This way, iTunes gets a error, because it won't get permission to install the Firmware. Now that where TinyUmbrella / Cydia, and edited host-files come in the game. If you saved via Cydia or TinyUmbrella, and added the Host to the list, iTunes will also ask Sauriks server, (the cydia one) and as Cydia saves them forever, iTunes gets its code and installs you the Firmware. I hope I made it clear enough.
  4. dagr8est

dagr8est Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That was more than clear lol thanks
  5. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    No problem xD