iOS 3.1 What Does Tethered Mean?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Sharpshooter94, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Sharpshooter94

Sharpshooter94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Topic.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You have to plug in your iPod touch and run blackra1n if you want to turn your iPod back on. If you don't run blackra1n, your iPod will just stay in Recovery Mode until you do.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yes, it also means that each time you turn your iPod touch off you lose your jailbreak.
  4. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    There are two different proper definitions for what Tether(ed/ing) can mean:
    Tethered:
    - 1) In the case of an iPod Touch/iPhone--when the jailbreak is initially released
    - (usually a good number of months before the final), in alpha/pre-beta form,
    - less-buggier-jailbreak comes out. It means that every time you wish to turn off or
    - restart
    your iPod/iPhone you will have to hook it up to a pc/mac/laptop/, etc.
    - And run a series of commands or programs in order to make it so it boots again.

Tethering:
    - 2) For Phones and certain carriers--not specific to just the iPhone. It's a feature or service,
    - which usually means using your Phone as a modem for a laptop while you are on the go. As
    - long as you have service for your Phone in the area you're in this way you can (usually) have
    - Internet at all times. But unfortunately a lot of services make you a certain amount for the
    - service, where as some do not.
  5. ryanangus

ryanangus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't want to sound rude, but please use Google or some other search engine. Or better yet, search these forums by clicking that large "Search" button on the top toolbar.
  6. lakerfanalways

lakerfanalways Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I was told that even if I turn off the Ipod, if I plug it in and press "make it rain" my Ipod will be restored with the jailbreak..is that not accurate?
  7. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I personally, have never used blackra1n, however; I can assure you that you won't lose your apps, music, customizations on your iPod when you turn it off. Your iPod will temporarily lose the ability to start up. When you hook it up with your usb cable and run blackra1n, all will be will once again and will continue to work as normal until you restart--at which point you will have to run blackra1n again.
  8. Airion

Airion Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    yea i had this experience with the 2G tethered jailbreak. It is untethered now, but u had to do a bunch of commands which was a pain in the ass, not all u gota do is hit one button and it does everything for u.
  9. loganirado

loganirado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sorry, I didn't understand something very well. So for now, if you jailbreak a iPod touch 3g, every time you turn it off, you have to plug it to a computer and do all the jailbreaking process again? Or it can be done without plugin the ipod to a computer?

Like, if you are traveling by car, and you accidentally turn your ipod off, you have to wait until you reach a computer for it to work again?
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Exactly. You also have to make sure the computer has iTunes on it, so that the iPod will boot after re-running blackra1n.