What does it take to actually brick a touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rawd, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Rawd

Rawd New Member

What if I SSH'd into my directory and deleted everything? Would that do it? Could I still restore? The reason I ask is because a few times I have heard this in the forum.... "almost unbrickable" "tough to brick". I am not a programmer, but I do like to "manipulate" things and see what happens. Are there certain files/directories that I should steer clear from? If I make a backup of everything on the ipod, can I mess around with stuff and then just put it back?
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

anyone?.......
  3. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Try it. If it fully bricks then you know you can't do that.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Rawd

Rawd New Member

lol, I'll pass on that suggestion. Well, I guess we will find out what bricks them when people actually start bricking them.
  5. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is a chip some where under the shiney (or scratched up) back that tells iPod how to identify itself to the computer attached to, how to transfer data to and from the computer, and how to save data on to the memory chips inside.

Granted that I wouldn't want to try it myself because of the hassle of having to restore and re-apply all my ID3 tag and album arts, I believe it is quite safe to rm -rf / on your iPod (well, safe as in you can't use it until you restore it), as you can still force it into recovery mode with iPHUC or the hold buttons method, and then force restore it.