what does a jailbreak do for me?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by xdjjosh98, Mar 12, 2008.

1. xdjjosh98

xdjjosh98 New Member

I just bought my ipod touch, it already has the iphone apps on it. what is the benifit to jailbreaking if any? also it is an 8gb if that makes a difference. this may seem like a dumb question but i am a noob. so be kind.
  2. Shade

Shade New Member

*deep intake of breath*
    Games, customizing your ipod, tools, useful things, toys, GAMES!
    oh that wasnt that bad

Please Register or Log in to view images

1 person likes this.
  3. real

real New Member

More apps.

Remember that iPhone/touch is a platform without apps you really have nothing. Jailbreaking gives you more options.
  4. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

Jailbreaking allows you to install unofficial software onto your iPod.
    Useful 3rd party applications are very rare. You'll just find a lot of iBeer, iFart, etc.
    In my opinion the iPhone apps are sufficient for now. Wait until June when official 3rd party applications will be available from iTunes.
  5. xdjjosh98

xdjjosh98 New Member

is there anything usefull? or just toy programs?
  6. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

Mostly just pointless little "toys". And the few apps that actually are useful are too unstable for real use, or lack many features. i.e., MobileScrobbler, MobileChat, etc.
  7. xdjjosh98

xdjjosh98 New Member

thank you for your honesty. I guess i will just stick with my plain ipod touch and use the web apps till the sdk stuff comes out.
  8. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

There are some very halpful apps, like textedit, mobilescrobbler, mxtube, emulaters and more.
  9. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

Why do I need a basic text editor when I have notes?
    MobileScrobber - great for last.fm users, but slow and unstable.
    MxTube - a good idea, but rarely, if ever, downloads videos in their entirety
    emulators - playing mario is fun for 5 minutes until you get sick of the latency and awkwardness of using a touch screen as a nes controller. its like coverflow - looks cool, and its great to show off to your friends, but its not really all that useful.

in my experience, a jailbroken ipod is much more unstable than a non-jailbroken ipod.
  10. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

but dont just go on what I say, or anyone else here for that matter. Its relatively easy to jailbreak, and if you dont like it, you can just restore your iPod Touch to its factory settings. So if you have some free time, go for it. There's no risk. but if youre happy with your iPod as it is, just wait until June when there will be a lot of useful, stable apps on the iTunes App Store (most for free)