What do you think of my lil research paper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xephyr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. xephyr

xephyr Member

Name: Zack Carter

Application Entry: Jailbreaking, Right/Wrong?

Background information On The Controversy Around Jailbreaking

On June 29th 2007, the iPhone and (September 13, 2007)iPod touch were released. There were some discouraging limitations, making it so the device could not be used to its fullest extent. There was no Appstore™ and there was no way to run third party applications on these new, shiny iDevices. One main limitation in the iPhone specifically was the failure to choose your own ringtones, and so the first exploit was discovered and the first jailbreak method was released on July 10, 2007. This newly found exploit was supposed to be only for adding custom ringtones, but lo and behold, the first custom game was released on August 6, 2007. Keep in mind, this was the 1.x.x days. ​

On October 10, 2007, the first way to permanently jailbreak the 1.0 iPhone firmware was discovered, roughly three months after the first iPhone was released. Hackers soon put out a tool to jailbreak the device.

RipDev created an application called “installer” and gave us the first taste of a way to get applications. It was soon a regular addition in jailbreaking programs like ZiPhone and WinPwn.​

Once 2.0 was released and jailbroken, Cydia was the new application to go to due to framework issues and such for Installer 3.0. Installer 4.0 was released quite a while after the release of the 2.0 jailbreak and Cydia was the application that most jailbreak users were accustomed to. Even though Installer 4.0 was released, the popularity of it did not rise much at all due to Cydia being faster, and considerably easier to use. ​

In January ’09, work on the iPod Touch Second Generation was announced by the iPhone Dev Team. The operation was codenamed: “Redsnow Lite” and in April, the tethered jailbreak was released as Redsnow Lite 0.1. Most early adopters that did not know what they were doing found it too difficult and too complicated, but the majority of technically savvy people were available to write tutorials and make tools for everyone. ​

The iPhone 3G was jailbroken on July 20, 2008. Yellow Snow was released right before the work on the 2G jailbreak started. Yellow Snow is the iPhone 3G unlock, BootNeuter could not be used on the 3G seeing as it did not have the same exploit.​

The iPod Touch 2G 24kpwn method of jailbreaking was discovered by the Chronic Dev Team, and was released with help from the iPhone Dev Team as a rough patch. It was implemented into a GUI about one month after release.
    Soon after the 3GS was released, an exploit was discovered using the iBSS file and an exploit was released by GeoHot (George Hotz) named Purplera1n. 4 days afterwards it was integrated into RedSnow 0.7​

Is Jailbreaking Right Or Wrong?

This is a tough question to answer and many people have many different opinions about the matter. Jailbreaking itself isn’t wrong because your just trying to get the full features of the device, right? Wrong, at least from a legal standpoint. I will admit, I don’t know the exact passage from the EULA or other agreements that say that it is against the rules, but the fact that you are using exploits to get around Apple’s limitations is in a way against the license agreement. This mainly applies to the iPhone seeing as your not only exploiting the firmware itself, but you also have the ability to “unlock” the capability to accept different mobile networks instead of AT&T. Though not officially declared illegal, some people find that in an ethical sense, jailbreaking is wrong.

As stated earlier, most people are simply allowing their iDevice to function to its fullest extent. In most people’s opinion, this is perfectly fine, and I share that opinion. There are certain things that the devices can be used that do cause this allowance of new features to be wrong. The main circumstance would be cracked/illegal apps.​

Cracked Apps, What Are They?

Removed Due To Possible Controversy, That Was A Result Of Misled Over analyzing. PM Me. if you so as want this part of the paper.

What’s Right About It?

Jailbreaking does allow you to take advantage of new features of the device. It allows you to run third party applications like winterboard, SBsettings, and etc. These allow you to theme your iDevice, giving new images and layouts and such, managed partitions, use quick toggles for functions on your iDevice and monitor the device’s functions. Personally, this is absolutely great, and can also be a selling point for the iDevice. The idea of jailbreaking quite possibly has made Apple quite a bit more money in the long run. ​

Legality

Sadly enough, though still waiting to be declared, jailbreaking period may no longer be legal. By the end of the year the final decision will be made and you may very well have the possibility of being sued or fined over your jailbroken iDevice. There is a distinct possibility that it will become illegal, but an even more distinct possibility that the jailbreaking community will not change drastically​

Verdict:
    Jailbreaking is a neutral turf, and when used correctly is a really great thing, but when used under circumstances such as cracked applications and unlocking, is considered unethical and illegal. The question of right and wrong over the topic of jailbreaking is decided by how its users handle it. ​

*Please Do Not Rip*
  2. xenorecor

xenorecor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i spotted some grammatical errors but over all its great!! call me a teacher

Please Register or Log in to view images

its a curse i have. i check all my friends papers before they get turned in ha
  3. xephyr

xephyr Member

thank you. did my logic seem sound enough and the information was good and such? In case you couldnt tell i'm attempting to get into the writers program.
  4. xenorecor

xenorecor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i noticed

i think your logic is great. not such a great topic since your debating yourself but hey, its not English class!!! Good job.
  5. xephyr

xephyr Member

Lol yeah, I just tried to state my views on all the different stand points. I treated it like it was an english paper, but if I wanted to do hardcore I would write a persuasive essay from both sides xD

Thank you very much for reading though.
  6. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I dont think you're allowed to talk about cracked apps.
  7. xenorecor

xenorecor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sure

my curse. have to read and edit everything

but ya, cracked apps... controversial. Might wanna cut it out.
  8. xephyr

xephyr Member

Oh Noez! This post was completely misunderstood and has therefore been removed so that it is no longer misleading people as to thinking I support cracked apps.

Kthxbai.
  9. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You should submit it to apple and see what they say, might change a mind or two (lol?), possibly even make them consider getting different themes and such for the idevices (ROFL?) ... maybe even put winterboard on the app store! (think about it = dissaster for us, good for apple lol)
  10. xenorecor

xenorecor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    alright alright haha