what do i need to build a gaming computer?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by steve19137, Jun 1, 2010.

1. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

so im looking to build a computer. it will run, most likely, winxp, win7, and ubuntu. but i decided that pre-built gaming computers were too expensive. ive heard that $600 can be a low price for building a computer. to be completely honest, all i want to play is star wars games. so it doesnt need to be a super strong computer. in fact, the game i plan on playing the most, knights of the old republic, doesnt need so much. here are the specs for the game (http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?forum=91&topic=272501).
    but what i really want to know is the parts i need to build a computer. i have a microcenter nearby, so i have all i need besides the money and parts. thanks.

what i know i need:
    motherboard
    processor
    hard drive
    memory
    video card
    sound card
    network card
  2. Gangsta692

Gangsta692 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Case
    CPU fan
    PSU/Powersupply
    DVD or Blu-Ray drive

That's pretty much it, I think. Btw. most Motherboards have an integrated sound card nowadays. May not be the greatest sound to some, but I'm completely satisfied so far with mine.
  3. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

ah. thanks. i just compiled a small list for stuff i might by from micro center. im worried about some parts not being compatible with the other. how can i know what goes together and what doesnt work?
  4. Gangsta692

Gangsta692 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well.. You probably want to start out with a budget, on how much you can afford. After that, start with a good motherboard, find out which CPU you want and locate a mobo that will fit that CPU. You shouldn't have to worry about HDD compability, they're almost always the same. Same goes for Disc drives, PSU's aaaand.. Graphic cards. After you've found your CPU+mobo, find the RAM that fits that mobo, then find a CPU cooler that will fit that mobo/cpu, then find a gfx card that will fit on that mobo(fit = size). Think about getting a good case too, that will be able to contain all parts. Some cases are too small for some gfx cards, so you might want to check up on sizes.
  5. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

hmmm. i see. well, this will be hard because i have a tight budget. ive seen the dell zino, and that intrigues me because its pretty cheap for good specs. problem is it has a amd processor. are there any recommendations for pcs that can be used for gaming, but not the (official) main purpose?
  6. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    with the tech they have on motherboards now, you really dont need a sound card. Your graphics card will probably have a HDMI so it can put sound out to your monitor, and motherboard will have full surround or SPDIF digital audio support.
  7. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Wow, you should go to the Computers, Science and Technology forum. The responses you got aren't so great lol.

Go to newegg.com to order your parts (assuming you live in the U.S.)
    What is your budget? I will pick out good parts for the price for you.
  8. Led

Led Banned

Depending on the processor you get, you might not need to get a separate CPU cooler/fan.
  9. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The only processor that he would need to get a fan for are the ones that don't come with one. As far as I know that's only 2 the Intel Core i5 675k and the Core i7 875k.
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    And any OEM chip that may be cheaper on sites.