What data am i giving when i connect to a wifi open network ? PLEASE REPLY

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheapfame, Oct 22, 2008.

1. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have concerns about what info i am forfeiting when i connect to an wifi network.

1- Am i giving my device address ? Is this unique and resolvable / traceable back to my device ?
    2- Am i giving access to any data stored on the touch, whether it be picture,video,music, or even cookies and saved passwords ?
    3- Am i open to some sort of dos attack at all ? or is it possible for the touch to be packeted or whatever ?
    4- Alot of open unsecured networks seem to be "default" or other generic setups.....could someone explain the logic behind how this occurs and what the pattern is ?

Sorry if some of you are cringing reading this.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes you are giving your device's MAC code. This isn't traceable to you, but it could be recorded and should you reconnect then you could be found.

No. No. Router default network name.
  3. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    1.no
    2.no
    3.the whole wifi traffic can be captured. Your device can't be DoSed at all but if you login into your mails for example then your password is sent unencrypted. So somebody with the right hardware (wifi card with monitormode and ability to capture passive traffic, alot of theory...) can read your password. So never provide private data like paypal accounts or whatever on open wifis.

4.many people don't know how to secure and setup their network that's why they let the routers on default settings.

MAC adresses:
    You can easily spoof your iPods mac-network-address. Requiring jailbroken and terminal installed.

Login as root in Terminal(type following lines and hit return after each):
    login root
    alpine

then use this command to spoof MAC:
    ifconfig en0 ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

You can replace 00:11:22:33:44:55 with any MAC you Want. To check your current MAC type:
    ifconfig

To get your real MAC back just do a reboot.
  4. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    my ipod touch and the 1 thing which has got me f*&cked......

thanks for the reply..

i know most people don't know how to secure etc but it only takes 1 person to truly shaft an individual.

do you suggest not using the gmail app or how would you do it ?
    in the gmail settings i can toggle to disable none secure connects ie imap? or whatever.

jailbreaking seems to be the only "sound" avenue for an advanced user...i find this yet again.
    -from redesigning icons & layouts to apps apple would never sanction.

when i first got this touch about 3months back i raced in and recklessly used ziphone
    -not only did this have me thinking it was bricked but i was on bsd death screen until i restored.
    -
    i guess my biggest dilemma is that i am of the school of thought -"portable storage device" - all music has been added and also vids etc etc.

-do you know of any definitive way for me to backup the touch's content, use a more reputable crew to jailbreak,, and then replace the content as before .......

????

this is my absolute ipod touch nemesis !!!
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    on nonsecure wifi networks don't use any case sensitive apps. Because the wifitraffic is NOT encrypted so it doesn't have any effect if you disable unsecure connections in mailapp because your INTERNET is even unsecure^^

Use nonsecure wifi only for browsing websites or youtube.

And yes jailbreak has many many advantages but the usual ipod user doesn't need or even doesn't know them. For example me, I use the terminal more than any other app because that is what means "jailbreak makes it yours". With terminal you can do almost everything what an usual Mac with OS X can. Except multimedia operations because the hardware is too slow.

Btw what do you mean with backing up and jailbreak? Can you explain it better? Also on which firmeare you are etc. There could be a way to do that. I did upgrade from 1.x and 2.x and took over all the files and settings. Once again jailbreak is required.
  6. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well i pretty much dont want to lose my music cos it aint itunes library sorta thing. and also thr vids , time converting dvds etc etc. i'm about 1 % sure the "backup" function in my itunes would work and dont trust it.

2.1 16gb / itunes 8.latest

i pretty mucxh ideally want all content in 1 folder safely, images are done - videos - music-

this isnt my pc or ide send a screenshot.
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    if you want to backup a 2.x jailbroken 1G ipod touch - I mean all files including photos, videos, music and appdata etc you'll have to do the following 2 steps regularly (warning: it would take a long long time to do this backup and during this time you can't use your ipod! but it's secure and you have all your data in 1 folder!)

1.make sure you've got ssh working
    2.install "vsftpd" from cydia
    3.ssh into your ipod and navigate to "/usr/share/" there
    4.create a folder called "empty" and set permissions to "777"
    5.disconnect in ssh and reboot ipod
    6.use a ftp client such like FileZilla and connect to your ipod usign standard ftp connection type (NOT the sftp/ssh thing), ip + user + pass are the same as in SSH
    7.navigate to "/private/var/"
    8.now download the both directories called "root" and "mobile" to your computer.
    9.time to make a coffee

Please Register or Log in to view images

it'll take a long long time
    10.you're done

ps: any questions? post them

8. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i'll do this from my own desktop just house sitting atm,

pretty sure from the youtube instruction noobs i will need a wireless adapter for the pc also ? ?
  9. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no you need no wificard for your desktop

as long as it's connected to the router and the ipod is connected to the router everything will work

10. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeh thats the problem i need a router for my house.