What causes iPod crash/button failure?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rdmeyer, Jul 29, 2010.

1. rdmeyer

rdmeyer New Member

I got my iPod touch last Christmas. A couple of weeks ago, I had it on in the car and suddenly the music started skipping. The screen became nonfunctional. I tried holding down both buttons and it just went dead. I went through the whole restore process with it at home numerous times, tried it on different computers, re-installed iTunes, nothing. Stuck in a restore loop. Finally took it to an Apple Store and the tech said one of the buttons wasn't working...no, stupid me didn't ask which one because I'm not really, shall we say, technically proficient...and they gave me a new iPod because the old one was still under factory warranty.

Now, I'm just trying to understand what made this happen. I googled iPod Touch button failure and saw numerous people complaining about the home button failing. I had the old one in a DLO flip case. I thought maybe it was the magnets in the case but my husband who is a network and systems technician says no, and HE has an iPod touch in the same type of case for two years and his is fine. Does anyone have any idea what causes this to happen?
  2. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It might have been faulty hardware, or possibly it got damaged while you didn't know.
  3. rdmeyer

rdmeyer New Member

Could being in a hot car have anything to do with it? Could that affect the buttons?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And I will say that the new one syncs MUCH faster and does not jumble the album artwork like the old one did.
  4. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Technology like iPods have certain function limits, such as height, depth, and temperature. If the device is out of any of those limits, it could malfunction and potentially lead to damage. So it could be why.