iPhone 3GS What can I do with an unlocked iPhone 3GS ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cacophony777, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cacophony777

cacophony777 New Member

I rarely use a cellphone, so haven't been able justify spending $70/month on an iphone. Currently I just use an AT&T "pay as you go" (prepaid) GoPhone, which costs me about $10/month. But I love the iPhone and really value internet connectivity everywhere so I've always really liked the idea of the non-existent data only iPhone plan.

My girlfriend has a 3GS (with iOS 4.0) and can upgrade to the iPhone 4 for only the cost of the phone ($199-$299) + $18 upgrade fee. If she does this upgrade does she get to keep the 3GS?

Assuming she gets to keep the 3GS, can I just put my sim card in it and use it as my prepaid phone? (the sim card does say 3G on it if it matters). Do I have to jailbreak or unlock it for this to work?

Also, is there any way to get a working data plan as well? What are the plan options for this (I see an option for "Data 100MB" for $20 on my ATT account). Is this the best option for me? I would gladly pay $20-$30/month for a decent data plan. 100MB seems a bit small, though...

Thanks!
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If she upgrades the phone, she gets to keep the old one.

You have two options for data:

200MB for $15/month
    OR
    2GB for $25/month

I don't think you can just pop your SIM in there and have it work.
    Ask Ripply (click here) for help. He's good with this stuff.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

1. She gets to keep the 3G-S.
    2. You can use it without having to unlock it first.
    3. I have an iPod, so I can't tell you anything about the prices for mobile service.
  4. cacophony777

cacophony777 New Member

I was under the impression these were only available as part of the regular iPhone plan ($40 voice + $15-$25 data)
  5. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes she does get to keep her 3G
    If it is an ATT sim card already there is no need for a jailbreak or unlock.

Before you put the sim in the phone turn off cellular data and 3G in settings, so ATT doesn't add the data plan.

If you want data I there are ways to set up the prepaid one but it requires changing the APN setting and I only know the T-Mobile ones.

If you are on a plan and there is data just switch to the smart phone data plan. It is 15 dollars for 200 mb or 25 for 2 gb I think. Whatever it is it's cheaper than the current one you can get.

By signing up for a smart phone plan you won't be required to sign a contract since you already have the phone
  6. cacophony777

cacophony777 New Member

What plan do you have? I was under the impression that the $15/200MB and $25/2GB plans were only for people in the full iphone plan... Have you actually tried it?
  7. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Call ATT and find out. But I don't think you need the full plan.
  8. aussigal

aussigal Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    dont forget there are plenty of places with free wifi where you can play internets on your iphone....I'm sure you know you dont need internet to play most of the games and many of the apps run without wifi/www too.
    I love my 3GS, and so do my kids when I let them have a turn on it.