what browser to choose?!

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Winterboard, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    hi, I just made the first thread in this section!!

So I only present 4 browsers here:
    -opera 9.5
    -IE 7/8 beta
    - firefox 3
    -safari 3

Please Register or Log in to view images

(like my image?????)

<<<< LET THE WAR BEGIN>>>>

I think we all can agree that the browser that you shouldn't choose is IE.
    but I personnaly don't especially agree on that. Its a slow browser that doesn't respect all the basic w3c rules. But it certanly has some cool capabilities. There are many script that are a ms pattent and only apply to IE. For example <marquee> or any effect style on an image or text.
    other browsers don't support this.
    also since 80% of people use IE you can nearly be certain any page will work on IE.

Now, Firefox. Firefox is a great browser. Really great. Its fast and very reliable. The plugin and theme capabilities are very extended and the browser has a lot of feutures. It renders webpages very well just about the same as IE but the main problem is this: a site that works on IE doesn't always work on firefox. Coding for firefox is slightly more complex and will result in pages not always rendering the way the user wants. Still this almost never happens because webmasters know firefox is popular. Opera and safari have more chances of bad rendering!

Opera. Well I have tested this browser in the last few days and it seems rock solid to me. It has done amazing feutures that I really miss on other browsers. People that don't know this browser class it as garbage but it is not. It is really good, looks slick and is even faster than firefox! One more thing, for those who dont know: opera has widgets and themes just like firefox. The widgets are actually pretty cool take a look at them here: http://widgets.opera.com/

Themes are also nice but i think the original opera theme is ok: http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/

btw for the safari addicts, there is a safari theme!

there is an even cooler feuture: mouse gestures. Just hold your right mouse button and drag your mouse to the left and the right to navigate between pages. And this was just an example.
    the 2 complaint I have are that it has problems rendering some webpages. Certanly javascript isn't supported very well.

Last safari. This browser looks good, is simple and fast. But to me its too simple. Its just lacks some functionalty some other browsers have! Its also not really easy to use. There are a lot of bugs in the windows version, its not safe, and sometimes renders webpages with problems. Still if you are just using your browser to google or read news, this is a great browser for you. Its the fastest out there (is said) and its simple to understand at first sight. One last note. Many users claim "camino" is a better browser for macs but I can't verify that. its basiicly safari with enhancements and uses the safari base. Try to google it. It is made by mozzila, just like firefox.

Conclusion: try opera first, it will amaze you. Next firefox if you have some problems. ALWAYS keep IE on your pc cause it can be a lifesaver on some pages!
    safari is worth to try but not my personnal favorite.

If you want to give an opponion give reasons to prefer a browser. Don't just throw in your opponion
  2. ELLDAWG

ELLDAWG Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    IE7 FTW,

or firefox if u dont like ie7
  3. Winterboard

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  4. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I use firefox.

Oh yea.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I would, and do, use Firefox 3 for my browser.
  6. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

New firefox and opera are both nice, but Safari is still my favourite!
  7. Winterboard

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    W H Y ? ? ¿
  8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i use safari. Its simple and sexy
  9. Hiratai

Hiratai Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is most definitely not sexy. Safari sucks globally, Mac and PC.

Use Camino if you're on a Mac, but use FF3 if you're on a PC.
  10. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

Safari is the fastest on my pc
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.