What are the odds of a Jailbreak coming for the 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noisemaker, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Seriously. We all talk about wanting a jailbreak, or how it may or may not be possible.

But, what are the odds that it will? Is it likely? Not really? Slim? I know it's semi-vague, but I know there are a lot of really tech-savvy people here, and I'm curious to see what they think about this.

Are we looking at something that will feasibly happen (albeit in a few weeks/months), or something that's pretty unlikely?

I want a 2G, but not if this is impossible and I'll lose all the fun apps that Apple would never approve.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why not just wait and see? Do you have to get an iPod Touch now?

Its kinda obvious to see that the only thing motivating you get the 2G is the Jailbreakability.

The iPod Touch will be there whether its jailbreakable or not (Though I bet it can, look at the iPhone 3G).
  3. Canuck

Canuck New Member

The iPhone 3G used the same processor as the original. The iPod Touch 2G does not. That's what the problem is.

I still have hopes, though. The Dev Team is great at finding these exploits. They jailbroke the 2..0 firmware in a matter of several days (yes, I know there were betas floating around long before) but I just hope that they can find some way to conquer this new processor.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Before, lots of people said "Oh man, we can't jailbreak the iPhone 3G". And now they're saying it for the iPod Touch. It doesn't matter if the CPU is different. People are going to find a way around it.
  5. EMH

EMH Active Member

Well sure it's jailbreakable, but it's just as much as a challenge as when the 1g Touch came out. Except this time we have a wonderful dev team.
  6. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

This is what I'm hoping.

As far as having a Touch now, yes. I do. However, I paid $300 for the 8GB. I can return it and walk out with an upgraded 2G with 16GB without paying a cent more. That's my big motivation. I've had my Touch for 19 days. Just over the "price cut refund" time limit. Otherwise I'd have gotten $100 back and just stuck with my 1G.
  7. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I bought my touch 10 days before the 2g came out and they swapped it out for the new one with no restock fee.
  8. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Exactly. I know I can simply return it. However, I only want a 2G if a Jailbreak for it is actually feasible and not some impossible task.
  9. iTAC7IX

iTAC7IX New Member

i love the chrome around the edges haha thats why I want a 2g but yea in my opinion the 2 g will be jailbroken within a few months
  10. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I hope so. I think I may go for it and get a 16GB version. Everyone here is pretty sure that a jailbreak WILL happen, it will just take some time.