iOS 4.0 What are the benefits of Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by chriss, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Well, I have the iPod touch 2nd Gen., I've installed the OS4, and I'm figuring this will mostly likely be the last software update for my type of iPod.

So I just wanted to know, what exactly are the benefits of jailbreaking, other than free games?

Would I still be able to buy stuff from the app store? And keep my current bought apps?
    And if there was any small software update, would it be possible to do this, or not?
  2. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You can still keep your apps from the app store.

Here, think of it this way: jailbreaking does not take anything away that's already there; it just adds onto it.

There's a huge benefit to jailbreaking. SBsettings, theming of not only the background, but the icons themselves, etc.
  3. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    And I'd still be able to buy apps from the appstore legally after jailbreaking?

Other than changing the background, does it allow any other features?
    Like the multitask stuff? (i must sound like such a noob xD)
  4. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yea you still will, and yes you can multitask using backgrounder and one of the many switching apps.
  5. Ortizman3289

Ortizman3289 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just so you know, the jailbreak games aren't great.
  6. jellydonuts

jellydonuts New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Don't think free games = pirated games.
    Please.
    Although we do not discuss that here, I hope you are not talking free games are illegal games.
    Anyway, you can do basically everything from Settings with SBSettings. It's a neat little tweak that, when swiped on the status bar or tapped with two fingers, will come down and have a wide variety of switches. You can manually change what you want in the More button. You can theme your iPod up, change the background, make Slide to Unlock turn into a Tap to Unlock, there's a whole bunch you can do with jailbreaking! It's just so amazing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Jailbreaking gives you root access. You can also download things off safari with Safari download manager. There is Winterboard and themes. There's nothing really to lose when you jailbreak.
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Oh for heaven's sake, if you jailbreak for piracy...

The whole point of jailbreak is to do things that Apple didn't include or allow in the stock OS. Like have cut and paste once upon a time. Or multitasking. Or to change your background wallpapers. "Big features" of iOS 4 which jailbreaks have had since the iPod Touch first debuted back in 2007... three years ago. Or to have any applications at all, as the iPod Touch was originally just intended to play music. Period. It gives you control over the device beyond what Apple normally allows, which means you can do things like download files in Safari (via plugins), or manage the file system. Or theme icons. Amongst other things.

Please take a moment to read the rules here. Any future discussions of anything that looks like piracy could lead to a ban.
  9. iJordan

iJordan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Any risk?

ive heard horror stories of people jaikbreaking their iWhatever and never being able to use it again. what risks are there involved? I'm more knowledgeable when it comes to windows. iOS is new to me, so, with windows you et trojans etc. are there any malicious downloads out there for iOS?

Please Register or Log in to view images

x
  10. mincading

mincading Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    thats y u get [PIRACY]us
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.