What are some good earbuds to buy?

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by tech3475, May 23, 2010.

1. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I currently spend around £7 every 3-5 months buying new earbuds because the wire gets a loose in the connection for the plug.

Are there any good earbuds to buy (preferably if possible for around £10-20 in the UK) which are very very reliable from a wear and tear perspective and deliver decent sound quality?

I use them all the time for various things so that's why they wear out but I don't really like this especially since the earphones can go without warning and I wonder if it's better to buy good ones which last than cheap and short life.

BTW, no in ear/IEM ones please, I find them uncomfortable.

Most of my music is typically 128 to 192kbps in either CBR or VBR MP3 format except for a few songs I bought on iTunes store.

Here's an example of the type I have used so far:
    apple supplied ones
    JVC gummy and others
    Sony MDRE818LP
    etc.

thank you

BTW I own an ipod touch 2G and an ipod classic 6g 80GB if that helps.
  2. EBOBO

EBOBO New Member

Stick with JVC's Gumy if you don't want in-ears.
  3. Aiwa

Aiwa Well-Known Member

Sony MDRE818LP are good. I got them

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok thanks, I guess I just have to stick with the 3-5 month replacements then (I currently alternate between the two headphones).

BTW, I was just wondering, are IEMs any better than earphones? I am thinking about giving these a go again to see if they're any better since the last time I tried them I wasn't that much into music back then as I am now and like earbuds I might grow to like them.

I know I said in the initial post no IEMs but the thought only occurred to me now.
  5. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

well, IEMs offer much better bang for the buck and have noise isolation

generally,IEMs are better than earphones if you can get a good fit, if dont put an IEM in properly then it will sound terrible
  6. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When you say "bang for buck" I assume you mean in terms of quality.

What are some good IEMs for my price range?
  7. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

im talking about sound quality, not build quality
    but consider the JVC Air Cushions, which are super confortable and sound decent too, or Sennheiser CX300s which sound really good
    build quality will only get better if you spend more
  8. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok thanks.
  9. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Go for the JVC Marshmallows, or the CX300's, as Gunz said. Those pairs are a great entry level IEM.
  10. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Hmmm, through my own experiences I have come to conclude that even low quality music still plays better on better buds. The headphone's don't HAVE to be crappy if the music quality is. No matter what, it will still sound better if you get better than normal buds. 160kbps music can sound crappy on crappy headphones, but it can also sound great on actually nice headphones. Plus, usually when you spend more on headphones, they will last longer. Cheap headphones are cheap for a reason. (Though there are a few expensive headphones that are crappy based on reviews...) Generally the experience will be much better than with cheap headphones.