WHAT 2 MAJOR THINGS WILL LEAD TO THE SPINNING WHEEL OF DEATH! (and how to avoid them)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by DemonHunter, Apr 24, 2008.

1. DemonHunter

DemonHunter New Member

Alright here's to all of you people out there who have at one point in time have come to encounter this crazy and weird anomaly.

What is "The Spinning Wheel of Death"?

the spinning wheel of death occurs when you have messed up with the normal functions of your iPod/iPhone/iPhod (in my case)

the spinning wheel of death is when on your screen you see the little circle icon which indicates that something is loading. but what makes it the "Spinning Wheel of Death" is that the light (that goes around the circle) keeps spinning and spinning then stops...gets a little brighter...then keeps spinning and spinning and stops again..gets a little brighter... and ect. Normally the only way to fix this is to hold down the power button and home button until it turns off, then to hold the home button and plug it into your dock.

then you have to go through the whole long-ass process of restoring it and getting it the way it was before.

Now for the fun part!

I have noticed on my internet trawls and personal experience that this anomaly mostly happens in either one of these two cases;

i) You make a fresh restore and install tons of apps and then get a message saying you're out of disk space, In your mind you go "oh crap i forgot to do BossTool!" so you go and install BossTool and you open it up and you do everything normally like you usually do and when its done you go back into installer to uninstall...but it crashes to springboard, you try your other apps...they do the same. so you try to restart your iPod/iPhone/iPhod and BOOM! there it is

the "SPINNING WHEEL OF DEATH!"

and/or (my personal favorite)

ii) You are hurrying to work in the morning and you grab your iPod/iPhone/iPhod and you notice that one of your apps is not working properly. so you think to yourself "hmm... what if i set the permissions to 777" so you go over to your Computer and you fire up the old SSH Client. you go over to your /Applications folder and you set your apps' permissions to 777. you look at your watch and yell at the computer: "OMG Hurry up i'm going to be late for work!" and (amazingly) it finishes. now at this point you think you're off the hook so you take your iPod/iPhone/iPhod and you reboot it now while you're rebooting you notice that you forgot to disconnect your SSH Client and BOOM!

the Goddamn "SPINNING WHEEL OF DEATH"

isn't that fun when your whole day is spoiled by a "half bricked" iPod/iPhone/iPhod?

so people i hope you have learned a bit from this thread
    use BossTool RIGHT AFTER you install BSD subsystem

and for Christ's sake DISCONNECT your SSH client BEFORE rebooting your iPod/iPhone/iPhod

This has been DemonHunter

peace out

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. HanMan5000

HanMan5000 Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Nice topic, thats pretty funny and cool.
  3. gorskino10

gorskino10 New Member

Installer Crashing... thats a big one it happened to me and my friend.
  4. DemonHunter

DemonHunter New Member

did you pwn?? with winpwn??

cuz if you did then you would need to restore to your custom firmware again and before opening installer go into contacts or safari and tap the keyboard like a madman.

that happened to me my installer crashed all the time until i did that

it worked perfectly since then

cheers!
  5. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

I got mine from Accelerometer Log.

I booted up Installer, and saw "Package Download Failed". I wanted to test to see if my connection was good, so I went into "all packages" and downloaded the first thing I saw, Accelerometer Log. I installed it, everything went fine, and I went to the home screen.

Ah, the wheel wouldn't stop spinning, and at the time I didn't know what it was. I wasn't sure exactly what happened, so I rebooted it and found myself in restore mode. I tried 1.1.3, but iTunes couldn't restore it. I didn't know what to do, so I tried 1.1.1, and hey, it worked. Current firmwares have never worked for me for a restore; I'm not sure why. I always get results with 1.1.1.
  6. cantcatchme939

cantcatchme939 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ive rebooted while connected to WinSCP before and nothins ever happened...
  7. TheAsianJedi

TheAsianJedi Banned

i download skylers theme and chose to be my theme
    SWOD

8. mlbplayer456

mlbplayer456 Banned

9. x6blues

x6blues New Member

After you get the wheel, there are some ways to resolve it but it isn't always 100%, just depends.

1) Replace the N45AP.plist file found in System/Library/Coreservices/Springboard.app
    2) Delete the folder of the app or whatever it is causing the problem if able to SSH
    3) As the above poster wrote, make backups then replace.
    4) Everyone's favorite, Restore

Remember it isn't always 100%. Look at it like weight pills, it isn't 100%. Results may vary

10. sonofagun72

sonofagun72 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow I just finished reading this saying I haven't gotten the spinning wheel of death in a while. So I go on my iPod and change the theme and guess what I got the spinning wheel. Just goes to show you never know what to expect.