Went to get a replacement touch today at Apple.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iTouchEC, Sep 21, 2010.

1. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So today I went into Apple to get a replacement for my 4G touch. I had the seemingly common light leak issue. First of all, the place was PACKED. Good thing I made an appointment. Anyways, they call my name, I walk up, and explain to the guy that it has a light leak. So he tried looking for it, to which I explained to him that you have to be in a dark room to see it (duh). He went to the back, and came back about a minute later. He seemed kind of weird, and hesitant. Almost like to him, a light leak wasn't a big enough deal to issue a new one. He even asked me if it was the new generation. Um yeah buddy, do you see the camera?

So, he then asks for my receipt. I give it to him and then he starts explaining how I could have just gone to Best Buy to get a replacement since I bought it there. He eventually puts my information into the system, and files the form about my light leak issue. He then tells me that they have no 8GB 4Gs in stock so he's going to have to order one, and it may take a few days up to a week to arrive. I told him that's fine. He had me sign this paperwork, blah blah...gives me back my original iPod and I'm off.

All in all, I thought it was an annoying experience, lol. I was under the impression that it doesn't matter where you buy your iPod, as long as you bought it brand new, then you can take it a Apple store while it's still under warranty and get a replacement. I hope he didn't order a refurb or anything. The item number is 661-5773. He told me to keep my headphones (which I havent even used yet) and my USB, so I hope I'm not gonna get there and they hand me an opened iPod..

Maybe I'm just freaking out about nothing. But it just seemed that he thought the light leak was a minor thing. Not to me.

Atleast I still get to play with my touch until the other one comes...

Any thoughts?
  2. nexus14

nexus14 Member

It will be a refurbed unit. I replaced my iPod touch 2g because it had this circular ring on the screen (probably due to the innards pressing against the screen). Anyway, they saw it and swapped it with an iPod touch that was in a white box. It had film wrap all around it so it appeared new but the guy explicitly said it was NOT a new unit.
  3. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When was this? If it was recently, they're not making any new 2gs, so they had to give you a refurb. I'm not saying they will give the OP a new unit, just saying I don't know

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. xisintheend

xisintheend New Member

Highly doubt they have any refurbished 4th generation touches in stock. Don't worry about it!
  5. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It could be a refurb, but the other dude brings up a good point when he says they probably won't have any refurbs at the moment.

But for future reference, always try to avoid going directly to the manufacturer when you want a replacement of something. Its best to take it up with the store you bought it from first (which is why I never recommend one buy from Apple) because they will usually just issue you a brand new one rather than trying to recycle an old one on your behalf.

On the bright side, even if it was a refurb, you probably couldn't tell the difference. They only reuse internal parts, not external parts. I doubt they reuse the battery.
  6. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I really hope it's not a refurb. Although I don't think it was because it seemed like he was ordering a new one. He even told me that if I decided to not wait for one from them, and get one from Best Buy quicker (which I wont do) that they'll just use the one they ordered for me, for another customer. I dunno, if they tried to offer me a refurb, I think I might not accept it. I'd probably rather keep the one I have now, then have a refurb. I guess we'll see.

And I agree about how there might now be any refurbished 4Gs yet, but at the same time, there might be.
  7. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it probably wont be a refurb
    justr start yelling in the store: I WANT A NEW DEVICE! THATS WHAT I PAID FOR! NOT SOME CRAP SECOND HAND SH**! and then dont leave the store until they give you a brand new device
  8. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Screen, casing, external buttons and internal battery are all 100% new - the other parts are tested and replaced if not in complete and clean condition. Not to mention that by being reassembled in conditions less stressful than in Foxconn you'll most likely have no light leaks

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. rex450se

rex450se Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I would go back and ask to talk to talk to a manager to make sure you get a new one. I have had mine replaced twice and got a brand new one both times, I just called to make sure they had them in stock and didn't need an appointment either time. I can understand getting a refurbished unit 6 months later for a problem that appears then, but for something that is present when you open the box should be replaced with a new one. I just went in both times and was calm and went in with a good attitude and left with a brand new iPod in the box and all was well. Good luck.

Victor

I would make sure I didn't get a replacement. If you purchased it anywhere else you should just be able to take it back and exchange it for another new one. It may be easier to go that route.
  10. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well considering that there have been several ipod touch 4s replaced already, there is a good chance that some of those have been fixed and may be used as refurbs.

Theres nothing wrong with a refurb though. It just means that they went through the quality inspection twice.