Well...if they're not going to do anything about the scratches...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sowmya90, Sep 10, 2008.

1. sowmya90

sowmya90 New Member

Hello all,

Being the nitpicky OCD perfectionist that I am, upon the purchase of my first iPod touch, I didn't even remove it from its packaging until I had bought a nice durable case for it. This was mainly so that the back of the iPod wouldn't get scratched...and as anyone who owns one knows...it scratches VERY easily. I had experienced this frustration from my first generation iPod nano before I found a case for it.

So, what's the deal with the 2nd generation iPod touch, does it still have the stainless yet scratchable steel back from the first iPod?

Because personally, I HATE scratches, but I also wouldn't want to go out and buy another bulky case. Isn't the whole point to have a super sleek and slim mp3 player to show off?

Note: Don't say get InvisibleShield because 1.) They're somewhat expensive, 2.) They try to get you to pay for the front cover when it's completely unnecessary and 3.) Come on, it's really not that invisible...
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Buy an iPhone?
  3. FregoS

FregoS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well... the front cover in invisishield is a life saver! I fell while doing dirt jumps with my bike and the ipod touch screen broke

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm looking to buy the 2nd gen one. But If the screen protector wouldnt have been there, I would have had a bloody leg with glass pieces in it!
  4. starwars246

starwars246 New Member

hey mate, i played around with this today, i *think* that the metal is actually different tbh, it feels it but i cant be sure, my current iPod Touch is scratched to f*** so feeling it couldnt explain it, however from feeling it i think it might be harder to scratch than the 1st gen. But the scratching is terrible! i so hoped that they would do the same as the iPhone with the ipod Touch (plastic backs) i guess thats next year *rolls eyes*
  5. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I'd prefer a metal back with some scratches over a cheap feeling plastic back any day. That said, I still hope that they are using a more scratch resistant metal.
  6. cainy

cainy New Member

+1 on that, its like the ipod classic VS the ipod video, plastic just makes it feel cheap, and ive found the dont feel as solid
  7. sowmya90

sowmya90 New Member

They don't have to make a plastic backing, but they could always do what they did with the current and last generation iPod nanos and create an aluminum backing which neither scratches nor looks "cheap".
  8. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the plastic makes the iphone look classier... and shinier

and screw the ppl who hate the new shiny non scratching plastic back as it drastically gives me great reception!
  9. Sportsmaniac1322

Sportsmaniac1322 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does anyone know yet if it scratches as easy? If it doesn't I'm just going to leave it by itself. if not, I'm definitely getting an InvisibleShield. I don't care if it's not perfectly "invisible". I just want my iPod to stay as slim as it's meant to be without getting it all scratched up!

10. Trojann2

Trojann2 New Member

Just do what I did and give your metal a brushed metal look.