Weird USB & iPod Touch 2G Bug

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cogdissonance, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cogdissonance

cogdissonance New Member

Got a little problem concerning my Touch 2G.

When updating the firmware from 2.1 to 2.1.1 something wrent wrong. So the iPod hasn't any Firmware on the flash. Today it was restored at an apple shop which worked out perfectly. Back home iTunes stated that the iPod can not be syncronized and was unable to transfer any music to the touch.

So I've gotten in contact with the apple customer care staff and after chatting for a while they said I should try to restore the thing again. Did so and again it went wrong.

However it seems that either iTunes (or one of the related programs) or Win XP removes and installs the iPod during the restoring procedure within a couple of seconds (at least that is what the device manager shows, the removing and reinstalling thing).

So anyone got a suggestion what to do (execept for a full system restorement)?

My current system is a laptop with for integrated USB 2.0 plugs.
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

take it back to apple and get a new one
  3. fiftyfour123

fiftyfour123 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the 2g ipod touch comes with 2.1.1
  4. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

not when he bought it
  5. JAD

JAD New Member

Mine came with 2.1, not 2.1.1 and mine also had a hiccup when I tried to install the update the first time. I had to do it again. Gave me a fright, all right! You kind of expect things may go hairy when installing a custom firmware but not an official update right off itunes directly from Apple. Second time worked for me though and no hiccups since. Try turning off firewall and virus/malware scanners and see if that helps. I noticed a firmware version or two ago on my 1G that it seemed to speed things up considerably and I've made it habit to disable those ever since when installing any new firmware.
  6. sb28

sb28 New Member

Had the same problem on Vista-PC with 1G!
    Using an second PC with XP to restore the 1G worked!

But before I updated my 2G the first time with my Vista-PC I reinstalled iTunes completely.
    I removed every Application from Apple (QuickTime, iTunes, MobilMe, Bonjour) and deleted the iPod from the device-manager.

Then after reinstalling iTunes I updated the 2G from 2.1 to 2.1.1 without problems but I don't know if it might have crashed in case I hadn't done the reinstall...
    (I use another USB-Port, located at the back of my Notebook for my 2G because one of the two ports at the left of the Notbook crashed the 1G.)
  7. alexJD

alexJD New Member

Same

Lol, i had to restore my new 2G within half an hour of getting it. It screwed up when i tryed to update to 2.1.1 from the firmware it came wth. I just restored it and its been fine.

8. cogdissonance

cogdissonance New Member

Seems like Agnitum Outpost Firewall 1.0 messed up some drivers. Manually deactivating the firewall didn't do the job. Only complete removing of the firewall helped. But now the Touch works perfectly.

Strange thing as the iPod Mini never had any troubles of that kind (used the firewall for nearly four years without any problems...).

Please Register or Log in to view images