Weird Files in root

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nite, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Nite

Nite New Member

I just got my iPod touch for christmas. Sweet site, I jailbroke my ipod within 3 hours of having it. Was really easy too. Ok so, I installed a terminal application and i was just looking around. Well I went to root and there were some weird files in there with somewhat malicious sounding names.

bug.lrn
    losers.lrn
    mach
    standard.lrn
    suicide.lrn

everything else seemed fine. Applications, bin, etc, sbin, car, etc, all the things I'd expect to see in the root folder. Just wondering if anyone knew what these files could be. I tried opening them with vi but it said they were empty, but I don't know if they're just hidden or what, I'm not really a linux, or unix, or mac os whatever it is guru. I deleted them and everything seems fine, nothing has stopped working, but am still really curious as to how they got there. I've only used Installer and I only have one extra source, which is "MTL Repository, http://home.mike.tl/iphone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Ryan Sullivan
  2. Kyn

Kyn New Member

WTF mate that's wierd
  3. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You didn't install anything from this source, right? So it should be something else.

Maybe someone logged in your iPod, is your Wi-Fi setup secure? Have you changed the root password of your iPod (use the passwd command)? Or maybe the files you used to jailbreak were not the "original" ones.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    <sigh> I believe that I read they are the files for some new iPod Touch chess game... Unfortunately, the programmers did a poor job of naming and it's freaking people out...
  5. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ah, great...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just checked, that's right: Caissa, by Boris Ioffe. I wonder why he had to put those files in the root directory, sounds more like a joke to me (of a poor taste).

*removes*

Can't wait until the GnuChess conversion is done

6. Nite

Nite New Member

Wooooow. Really, yea i have that chess application.
  7. oasisbackbeat

oasisbackbeat New Member

:/

so pretty much if we want to keep playing this game, we have to keep this files??? i really dont like their name/place they reside...:/
  8. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't like it either, especially since there is no way of knowing if that application does something else besides playing chess (sending your emails over wireless?

). I don't think the sources are available.

But then you could say that of many other applications, it's just those names...

You can use the other chess program now in the Ste Packaging repository (just edit the executable and put blanks on the annoying "plz donate donate donate!!" text). And there is yet another one in the works on google code pages (now just playing in text mode). They're both based on GnuChess.
  9. pod

pod New Member

same thing to me,buddy..
    but i delete those files... nothing happens...
    it's safe to delete them/i think..
    probably this temp files of something..