Weird battery usage - Guilty Apps??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by messyhead, Jun 19, 2008.

1. messyhead

messyhead New Member

I've only had my Itouch for a few months, so the battery should still be in pretty good shape.

I had Jailbroken it on 1.1.4 and had installed quite a few apps and games, and some of the 'hidden' system tweaks.

I was finding that my battery would only last about 4/5 hours before I got the 20% warning. My usage was that I would play a game on the way to work (Simon the Sorcerer on ScummVM) for about 15-20mins. Then when in work I would listen to music during the day for about 4 or so hours. And before the end of the day the battery would be down to about 10 or 20%. I had read that having SSH installed could use the battery, so I installed BossPrefs to switch off SSH, and Wireless was also off all day.

I was wanting to use Cydia from now on to install apps (at least the ones that were available on it), so this morning I restored my Ipod - reinstalled Installer, then Cydia. I've also installed Summerboard, ScummVM, SnesIphone, and BossPrefs.

So far this morning, I've had the same usage as yesterday (Game on the way to work and music all morning) and there's only a fraction of the battery used according to the meter.

So what's going on?? Is there some app (other than SSH) that uses up battery a lot, even when the app itself isn't being used? The only other difference is that I'm not using the same SMB theme as I was (which was Mystique), but surely that wouldn't have an effect on the battery??

I was getting really annoyed at the crap battery, but so far all seems to be back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

sounds like you have a bad battery. i think you shoul restore it and go to the apple store with it.
  3. legallyillegal

legallyillegal New Member

the battery levels meter is woefully inaccurate. until it shuts itself off, you're not low on battery.
  4. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah I had mine saying it's under 10% for 3 hours using the musicplayer and it didn't go off I just went to my PC connecting it... I should try next time to let it go off

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. messyhead

messyhead New Member

I don't think the battery is bad as it's been fine today. At this point yesterday, the indicator was down to about 1/3 battery left. But it's still showing only a small amount gone.

Even though the indicator is inaccurate in terms of it not showing what's actually available, the indicator would still reduce by the same amount.

I'm still convinced that it was something I had installed as it's much better since I restored my ipod.
  6. messyhead

messyhead New Member

Well, one week on and I can safely say the battery on my Itouch is back to it's normal performance. I've only had to charge it 3 times since last week, when before I was charging it practically every day.

There must have been something installed that was using up battery. Chatting with one of the developers in my work, they mentioned that there was maybe some app using memory even when I wasn't using the app itself. I might try re-installing everything that I had to see if the problem re-occurs.
  7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Firmware 1.1.4 has bugs with the battery! (or so it seems) Just like firmware 1.1.2 for ipod nano 2!
  8. messyhead

messyhead New Member

Interesting... I wonder if it installed a tweaked 1.1.4 (like 1.1.4.2 or something) when I restored, that has fixed the bugs.
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Turning off ''Automatically Join Known Networks'' in Wifi preferences saves battery.

Also, batterry.app can give more accurate battery measurements, although it too is sometimes erratic.
  10. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Youre battery is dieng?
    install bossprefs and turn off SSH, its a battery killer