Weird Application limit =\ Please view.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by JonSingh12, Jan 31, 2008.

1. JonSingh12

JonSingh12 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I've came accross something awkward with version 1.1.3 firmware. There is a maximum of 83 applications that can be installed. When you add any more and it resprings it goes into a spinning wheel of doom.

The 83 apps include 9 catagory symlink'd all the original apps that come wih it the january pack and couple others. This shouldn't be happening this has given us another limit resriction to bypass. This isn't because of space, i have well over 69mb free space on the small partition and 10.4 gb on the other. This might have to do with structure. I'm not sure i would like if there is someone out there that can help me with this application restriction.

Note: Apps folder has been moved.
  2. JonSingh12

JonSingh12 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    bump... any user out there when they go into their application folder have over 83 applications.
  3. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

why do you have 83 apps? O_O
  4. JonSingh12

JonSingh12 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    83 Apps include the ones that com with the system which is 12 applications + the january pack 5 applications + the installer applications + ssh which is installed with it = 19 apps standard then i have catagories which creates for my 9 catagories 9 symbolic links in the application folder so thats a nother + 9 and then my emulators and various other utilities. There hsouldn't be a limit 83 apps doesn't equal 9 pages.

83/16 = 9 NO.
  5. matrixxx01

matrixxx01 New Member

QFT. i just recommend that you get rid of the ones you don't use..
  6. JonSingh12

JonSingh12 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I use them all =\ there basically like iradio use it alot all emulators by zodttd i use all of them i use =\. I'll remove some however since it seems that there is a limit for applications which is 83 applications maximum.
  7. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Steve Jobs said that you can have up to 9 home screen pages. But that only comes to just over 5 when i used the trusty old calculator so maybe he has set a limit on 3rd party apps?
  8. DarkJMKnight

DarkJMKnight New Member

Yes, I have the same issue... I finally upgraded to 1.1.3 and got around to reinstalling my familiar apps. Back in 1.1.2 I had over 100 apps installed. No, I don't use all of them, but having them available to showcase was nice. (I loved showing ppl how someone had ported Vista to the iPod...

Please Register or Log in to view images

I had them organized using Categories and there were only 2 main pages on my iPod.

However as of 1.1.3 if you have more than 83 applications in the Applications folder, SummerBoard freaks out. It doesn't matter if the applications are hidden, categorized, anything. You install that 84th application and you are locked out of your iPod until you can ssh in and mv one of them out of the Applications folder.

Interestingly, you can make as many subdirectories in the Applications folder as you like with no problem. So I tried making a subdirectory and moving some apps into it, and hacking the Categories' list.txt file to refer to that subdirectory. Alas to no avail...

Basically if the application isn't in the /Applications folder directly, nothing can see it, not Launcher, XLaunch, Categories, Squid, even Finder.app doesn't want to start them when you find them. You can run them through VTTerm... but what a pain, and it doesn't work quite right.

Someone, anyone? Why did SummerBoard break across that firmware update? (Maybe 1.1.4 will fix it? Like I'm anxious to install that right now...)
  9. DarkJMKnight

DarkJMKnight New Member

Solution found in SummerBoard 3.2

Just FYI, in case no one had noticed.
    SummerBoard 3.2 refixes the application limit.