week 38 touch's with new serial numbers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RadicalxEdward, Sep 24, 2007.

1. RadicalxEdward

RadicalxEdward New Member

Ok, so along with many other week 37 ipod touch owners i had a lot of screen issues. Most people said to just go an exchange it. but to make sure that you had a week 38 one (production week 38 is when the display problems were fixed)

At first people said you could tell if it was a 38 by the front. If it had macy grey it was 38, if it had that other chick it was 36-37. Then it turned out that was wrong, the cover had nothing to do with it, some 37's had macy and some didn't.

The next sure fire thing was the serial number, Week 37 and 36's had a serial number starting in 9C736 or 9C737 so to make sure you got a week 38 all you had to do was find a 9C738, which is what most people did.

So i made the required mac genius appointment (for about 5 minutes after i got to the store, it was so empty) The guy looked at my screen and told me to try and show him the problems. Well for one, most of the problems don't look so bad in bright light, and two i had taken most of the content off. anywho, i did my best to show him, and he agreed it was messed up and wanted to test it under darker lighting conditions but was going to exchange it anyway. So he pulls out a new 16gigger and i check out the box, macy grey, then i ask if i can see the serial number first, and instead of being 9C738 like it should have been, it's 1A738 now i'm hoping the 1A is where it was made, and that it's as good as a 9C but i'm just now unboxing it. I'll let you guys know how good my 1A is.

If anyone else has 1A post your screen problems (or not) here.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Here's something: 1a73
  3. RadicalxEdward

RadicalxEdward New Member

Thanks for the link, It's not as bad as the old 9C737 i had but it's no where near perfect, it's still got a little reflectivity if your not an inch away and 100% straight on, but it's good enough for me to deal with, and again only has a few dead pixels.
  4. Rimz808

Rimz808 New Member

Ok wait.. i am so confused! Are you saying that ipot with serial numbers 9C738 are defective in some ways?? Cause that was what i just got. So far, i can't really see anything wrong, but then again that could be due to the fact that i was too excited to get it, that i never did a thorough look at it.

So therefore, what exactly is defecftive, and how can i check to see if it is. Also, is apple admitting to this problem? Can i just go down to my apple store and get it replaced.. if so, how long do i have till i can do that?

Thank you.
  5. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    how do u know what week it is
  6. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

that is a good question
  7. sallycinnamon

sallycinnamon New Member

Just to clarify that the 4th and 5th digits in the serial number are the week in the year that it was made and the 3rd digit is the year it was made. This is the same for all ipods.

E.g. if serial number was9C73766GE3M then the year is 2007 and the week in that year is week 37.

Sorry if everyone already knows this, just thought I would clarify.
  8. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

go three numbers in, and look at the next two

mine is a week 38
  9. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if i own a week 37 ipod is it 100% that there is a screen problem. Because it looks like mine is ok, but with nothing to truly compare it too i have no clue about its condition.
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member