wedict pro dictionaries

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by iH@CK3RZ, Aug 14, 2008.

1. iH@CK3RZ

iH@CK3RZ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    so i just recently bought wedict pro. i know stupid me right. well i was wondering if someone can post any urls for dictionary downloads that are either .zip, .dict, or .idx. if you are thinking about getting this app i highly recomend not getting it because it is the same as the free version except for the download dictionaries part and the user interface is a little different. so just save your six dollars and get the free one and dont make the mistake i made.
  2. porkypig22

porkypig22 New Member

Yeah, i can see your problem. I just checked this out. Seems you have to get the dictionaries from here. Can the app take *.tar.br3 files of that page, then unzip them ? Or do they defintely have to be zip format, to be unzipped ?

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php

Here's the creator page, it's mentions zips, then it unzips them ? I guess if it won't take the ones from above link (*.tar.br3) the other option is to find some freeweb space to upload the dictionaries you need..?

http://app.weiphone.com/wedict/page1/page1.html
  3. bickerer

bickerer New Member

StarDict Pro. Too good!

Yesterday I bought WeDict Pro. I have been using the free version. But recently WeDict free version disappeared from the Apple Store. I was forced to buy the Full version after upgrading the Firmware to 2.2.1
    Though the WeDict Pro comes with only one English Dictionary (ie WordNet), we can download most of the popular English-English dictionaries from StarDict.

I downloaded the following stardict dictionaries:
    Oxford Dictionary, Cambridge, Merriam-Webster, Longman and American Heritage Dictionary.

The WeDict Pro version has many advantages compared to the free version:
    1. Search is fast
    2. Has built-in English pronunciation.
    3. Shows meanings in semantic tree view.
    4. Easy to upload dictionaries. It provides an FTP server. So there is no need to jailbreak and install OpenSSH and use SSH clients
  4. amandwato

amandwato Member

Device:
    iPod touch