WebOS tablet? Yes please, HP!

Discussion in 'HP TouchPad & WebOS Hacks' started by sprint_user, May 22, 2010.

1. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Concept:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig8CNytKGis&feature=player_embedded

We all know around here that webOS is probably the least popular smartphone OS, considering iPhone OS, Android, and the upcoming Windows Mobile 7. The thing is, it really isn't a smartphone OS, it is an OS that is made to perform equally on a tablet, netbook, and smartphone, making it a powerful mobile OS. iPhone OS 4 finally can compare with some of the features that the Pre has had for a year, but the Pre still does it better in my opinion. There are rumors that a webOS tablet could launch in October, and this is why I think it could beat out the iPad:

1. Price, the iPad is an over prices tablet. If HP can get the pricing right, many people would consider that first.

2. Business integration. When you walk into an office building, there is a 99% chance that they are using HP printers, and another 50% chance they are using HP computers. They could make some really nice integration between the devices.

3. 4G WiMax. Sprint and Palm have always been friends, they have a chance to release the first 4G enabled tablet running on a really reliable network. Then, in 6 months, they can release a plus model running on Verizon's LTE 4G network.

4. It's not Apple. Let's face it, there are a few people in the world that just don't like Apple. I am one of them. If Palm (HP) releases this thing ASAP, people will go running to it, then realize it is a really nice OS, then go get a Pre. Let's face it, those who have tried webOS are usually blown away. Android came first and took all the Apple haters away from the iPhone, now Palm needs to come in and take all the people away from the iPad.

5. HP, large tech company with a lot of money to burn for research and products.
  2. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I really want to see this, I like WebOS a lot.
  3. The Poison Woman

The Poison Woman Banned

You're already wrong there considering nobody will no what this thing even is. The iPad will always dominant peoples mind when the word "tablet" is heard or even thought about.
  4. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    People are always optimistic about these new devices and new OS's, yet apple always seems to end up on top...
  5. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Let's just hope this product actually lives long enough to see the light of day.
  6. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, I would say that this device has more threats from the iPhone 4G than the iPad.

From my point of view, this is going to turn out to be interesting. Palm might need to step up their game, too, considering the potentials of iPhone OS 4.
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I completely agree with this thread
    Though i am more exited about the nvidia tegra 2 tablet running android 2.2 (froyo)
  8. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Wrong section. Moving...
  9. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I want to see that tablet with froyo, that would be awesome!
  10. 1Bean1

1Bean1 New Member

Great thoughts, but it all comes down to HP/Palm's execution. Over the years I've worked at companies that have worked with some of HP's product development (I do QA). Some HP divisions/departments/groups were fantastic at getting good stuff out (printers, for example), but others were horrible (HP MediaSmart). The merger will hopefully bring out the best in both.