Web Applications into stand alone applications...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by kinematic@yahoo.com, Oct 17, 2007.

1. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

Sorry if this has been suggested or there is a solution out there that I haven't found, but I know that you can turn almost any webpage into a widget, but what about turning web apps for the iphone/touch into stand alone applications. Someone should create a mechanism to take some of the several hundred web apps into standalone items.

Now that would be money.
  2. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

This is a good suggestion. But, with the jailbreak you can add better apps than the web apps so I do not really see the point of this now.
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It could give someone like me the opportunity to create our own "apps" without going our and buying a Mac.
  4. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

True, I didn't think of that.
  5. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

I'm thinking to speed up development time for apps that are already built in .js libraries and also since there are more web apps out there than native at the moment.

I'm also certain that developers that make the web apps don't want to put in the effort into homebrew apps with the uncertainty that it might break later with a firmware upgrade. So instead build it legit, and have an application that can turn it into a standalone on our iPhones and Touches.

It's a thought.

Addendum: On the Palm environment there was something that IBM developed called WebSphere. This ran JAVA applications in its on micro environment. The neat thing about this environment is that there was no dependencies on hardware (which was the original intention of JAVA), but I can imagine that the development of such a 'widget' could be done for the iPhone/Touch. I know there is already an application to run some widgets (which I have yet to figure out yet), but to create the widgets that run by themselves is what I'm getting at.