Weakened wifi connectivity on my iPod touch 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nexus14, Oct 24, 2010.

1. nexus14

nexus14 Member

It seems my iPod touch has weaker wifi connectivity than before.

Usually where I reside in the house, I get full bars of wifi signal. Recently, my iPod touch has stopped showing any available networks (like when you go to Settings>Wi-fi>on>... there are no networks showing).

At first, I thought, DAMN the wifi card is probably dead. However, today, I just brought my iPod touch to the SAME room where my internet router is and I was able to connect to wifi no problem.

Now, my question is, what's the likely cause for this weakened wifi signal? And is there a fix?

Some stuff about my ipod:
    8gb 2nd gen, MB model
    on 4.1 currently (same problem existed on 3.1.2 as well and I was hoping that an upgrade to 4.1 would fix it)
    not jailbroken
  2. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    See what apple says about it.
  3. nexus14

nexus14 Member

I was dreading this answer >.<

Most likely, they won't be able to help me since it's out of warranty. Sigh...
  4. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Then see if A third party repair company can do it.
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Have more networks been popping up lately? Get a wifi analyzer and see what channel you should have you're router on. It might be interference or a router issue.

If another device doesn't have issues with that router that doesn't mean much. iPod has a weak wifi card compared to computers (uses less power).

Try experimenting by using other routers and channels.
  6. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Loads of factors

ISP
    DNS
    DCHP....
    and so on...

most probably some other dude is haxxing your internet or maybe family or something. Nothing wrong comes from checking.
  7. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    May I ask what in the hell would make DCHP come into play?

Umm I am not even going to point out the ignorance, but just please don't answer threads if your not going to give any real advice.

Now, OP are you jailbroken?
    If so PM me I have a an app that I used to check and see why. It happened to my iPod, but I just ended up restoring and it was fixed.
  8. nexus14

nexus14 Member

iBrick, it has nothing to do with those issues... the stuff you listed is only relevant if I was able to see a wireless signal and had issues with access.

Like I stated earlier, if I am right next to my wireless router downstairs, it will connect. If I start walking away from the router, the signal drops to 3 bars, then 1 bar, then none at all and I disconnect.

If I set up my cellphone as a wireless hotspot, my iPod touch will see it since my cellphone is less than a foot away from my phone. But if I step away, the wifi signal will drop and eventually disconnect.

I have PMed you JacobV. I can definitely jailbreak if it's needed to fix the problem

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. nexus14

nexus14 Member

Jacob/ I tried contacting you but your inbox is filled. Here is my outcome:

I was able to get your file installed. There is definitely some sort of issue with the iPod touch. It was able to detect my local network but only at 1% signal strength! I was able to connect after several tries, so I am grateful for your help. Do you happen to know any other tricks that may fix this? You appear to be quite knowledgeable regarding this.

Thanks again!
  10. bocharwood

bocharwood New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Some iPod Touch cases can ruin your signal strength, or even having a ring on your finger can have an adverse effect to your signal strength.

Try taking any case or accessory and see if it makes a difference.