Weak Wifi after replacing the iPhone back =( help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pabalabalo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. pabalabalo

pabalabalo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Well the old backing on my iphone 3g(16gb) had a huge disgusting gash in the back and part of the inside was exposed so I decided it was time to do something about it. As I bought it from my friend it has no warranty so I ordered a replacement backing from ecaseshop.com. At first I did have problems with the buttons, now it's only the home button that is a little messed up. But now that I've got most of it back to normal the wifi is weak. The wifi is extremely weak, it will work when I'm really close to the router but not even a few yards away.

1)Could the new case be blocking the signal more?
    2)Or could I have loosened something when replacing the case?
    3)Also does anyone know where the wifi part of the Iphone is located so that I might be able to take a look on the inside again?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    EDIT: ok small update. After a bit more of fiddling I tightened a few screws in the iPhone and the wifi has a greater range than it did before, I'm am in another room on another level of the house and it is working. Also it's on firmware 3.0.1 would a firmware upgrade help? I know some people have said that 3.0 is buggy when it comes to wifi. Oh and also I got the power button fixed so it doesn't turn itself on and off anymore =D.
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I have seen something similar with a 2G; the WiFi cable was disconnected.

If it works leave it alone; if it continues to give you problems get back into it and check the connections on the logic board.
  3. pabalabalo

pabalabalo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Ok thank you, after looking up some pics of the anntena I figured that's what that little cable was and it just so happens it wasn't screwed down all that well. Well three days and all buttons and capabilities of my iPhone are back up and running =D, lol just about drove me insane, when something got fixed another thing went wrong.
  4. pabalabalo

pabalabalo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Update: After a few days of use I am noticing that I am not getting as good a signal in some places of the house as I did before or not signal in some areas, this leads me again to wonder if the new backing is blocking some signal. I have also heard been reading up a bit and found that many peoples wifi antenna's overheated or something along those lines upon updating to 3.0. But what confuses me is that I still get coverage some of my house. Could it have somehow overheated or is this just an update issue? I'm going to update to 3.1.2 tonight and see what that does, if not I guess I'll order a replacement cable. My only concern there though is that this might reoccur and if the cable is damaged why is it still partially working?
  5. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I'm assuming the new back is plastic; basically a factory replacement?

It should not restrict the WiFi any unless it is some odd metal case.
  6. pabalabalo

pabalabalo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Yes it is just plastic. I'm in the process of restoring at the moment, so if it was in fact a software issue, that should clear up hopefully.

Well that didn't work =( still have extremely weak wifi. This is driving me insane because I know I was careful and didn't mess with the wifi part of the device, but I guess my only option now would be to get a replacement antenna.