We need to get the word out.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sarcasm Siempre, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Here are some basic facts:

• The site is run by a person named Jody Sanders.
    • This person (possibly with the help of others) has been downloading PwnageTool releases and modifying them to look like he/she made them. And they do a half-assed job, leaving the help files and credits unchanged.
    • This person has been charging £29.99 for jailbreaks and unlocks, which according to Convertbot is about $44.18. I don't know about you, but to me that seems like more than the $0.00 the Dev Team charges.
    • For the last few days, this person was advertising that he/she had an unlock available for baseband 5.11.07 (the most recent one that geohot just managed to unlock). People who purchased the application were told that the software was in development. Curiously, right after geohot announced that he would be making his 5.11.07 unlock available on November 4th, iPhone Unlock UK (as well as many other scam sites just like it) sent out an email to its customers saying that they would have a 5.11.07 unlock available on... guess when? November 4th. What a strange coincidence.
    • iPhone Unlock UK's software theft isn't limited just to PwnageTool. A look at the "Application Package" available on their website shows that they have stolen the popular, free DVD ripping software Handbrake (for Mac) and are passing it off as their own. They're also charging users for the ability to use emoji, and to record video with their iPhone (cough, Cycorder is free, don't pay for it, cough).

Further Reading:

We need to get the word out. People are stealing free software, modifying it without permission, and selling it to people who are unaware that there is a free alternative. The best way to combat these lowlife scammers is to spread the word about them. Tweet about this, post it on Facebook, write a blog post on it, whatever you can do.
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Well done for handing out the link.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sooo... another quickpwn.com all over again?

And I'd remove the link. At least from the big, bold letters up top. That is just asking people to go.
  4. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Those people are f***ing morons. I'd bet they would even pay someone to wipe their asses. People with money buy a Mac (shiny factor... can't... resist... shiny). Or even worse a 17'' MacBook Pro (what a rip off). "Mac Pro" ? Don't make me laugh. God forbid you spend half an hour a day learning Linux ! Ewwwww...

People with money and no brains ??? Where they at ?! I WOULD SO CHARGE THEM !!! They're the kind of people who pay for water. Oh, but looooook... There's no IMPURITIES in it. Bottled water is just SO PURE !!! Tap water is just baaaad...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2862517610301228131&hl=en#

$4.75 for Agua de Culo (translates "Ass Water" in Spanish) and L'eau du Robinet ("Tap Water" in French).

Oh, and Naive spelled backwards is Evian...
  5. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well the people that are buying from these websites are just retarded. If they took about a minute to use google they would save $45.
  6. Reaper2794

Reaper2794 Banned

Who the hell cares. If you are dumb enough to fall for it, you DESERVE it. This should be common sense.
  7. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So you're telling me if I never knew about jailbreaking and wanted to try it, I would know it's free?

No. It's obviously their first time jailbreaking, they have no idea where to look.
    That, and they probably don't know if it costs anything.

It's not stupidity, it's taking advantage of people.
  8. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol yeh see my sig

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If you see: "Unlimited themes and Google Voice for your iPod! Only $10!" and had no idea what jailbreaking was, wouldn't you consider buying it? If the website doesn't even mention it's a hack, what would you google? Not "jailbreak" since you don't know what that is and not "hack" since you don't know you're hacking anything.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    'Tis true... 'Tis true.

So basically, if you don't know enough to know what jailbreaking is, you don't need to do it (in any form).