Way Too Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by planetbeing, Nov 4, 2007.

1. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

I swear, this is all anyone ever asks here.

1. Where is Media_sym/Mediaold/Oldmedia? or Where is the Applications folder?

What the guides want you to do is put stuff in "/Applications" or some other folder. The reason you don't see "/Applications" is that you're not in the "/" folder. You start off in "/private/var/root". To get to /, go up a few directories by double-clicking ".." three times.

Media_sym is just a shortcut for / that was left behind by ancient jailbreaks. Newer jailbreaks no longer leave this behind, so just go up directories manually instead.

2. Why do the applications I install with Installer quit instantly?

Earlier, jailbreakme.com did not include a library needed by applications compiled with the older toolchain called libarmfp. The latest version of jailbreakme.com has fixed this, but if you used the older version, you can get the library by installing the BSD Subsystem (which is in the System category) in Installer.

3. Why do the applications I install with SFTP quit instantly?

You did not give the application execute permission. You can do this in several ways. You can use PuTTY or another SSH client to SSH into your iPod, then type the command: /bin/chmod 755 /Applications/MyApp.app/MyApp. Where "MyApp" is the name of the application. For example: /bin/chmod 755 /Applications/MobileMail.app/MobileMail.

Or you can use SFTP to navigate into the /Applications/MyApp.app folder, and often you can change the permissions of MyApp with the utility by right-clicking on MyApp and clicking Properties. Check "execute" for everything.

4. What are the benefits of jailbreaking?

iPhone applications such as Mail, Maps, Notes, editable Calendar. Native third-party instant messaging client. Other third-party toys like a NES emulator. If you're a developer or a hacker, it becomes a tremendously powerful, extremely mobile computer.

5. Which jailbreak method should I use?

If you have an iPod, dn.vc/jb if you want SSH (you need it to install iPhone apps). jailbreakme.com if you don't.

If you have an iPhone, use jailbreakme.com.

6. Safari crashed but nothing else happened while using jailbreakme.com or dn.vc/jb!

It was a temporary connection glitch. Just visit the site again.

7. iPhone apps aren't in Installer! How do I install them?

Quoted from touchdev.net's wiki: "It really is as simple as copying over the iPhone app folders and their dependencies to the iPod touch, and setting the correct permissions." (http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Enable_iPod_Touch/iPhone_Applications [it also has some specific instructions and a link to get the apps])

But honestly, the Internet is crawling with tutorials, instructions, videos, and whatnot. Please respect the hard work that everyone's put in by putting a little work into this yourself: search.

8. Does jailbreaking void my warranty?

Yes, technically, but see Can I unjailbreak?.

9. Can I unjailbreak?

Yes, by restoring your iPod in iTunes. This means all applications you installed, all changes made to the underlying operating systems: everything will be gone. Neither man, nor software, nor god can then tell it apart from a just-out-of-the-box iPod. (Well, maybe they can, but with a lot of work nobody is going to do)

10. Is there a chance of bricking my jailbroken iPod by updating with iTunes?

No, not really, but all changes made by the jailbreak will be gone. It's essentially equivalent to a restore, but doesn't wipe out your media. You can always restore before updating if you're extremely paranoid.

11. Is there a chance of bricking my iPod by jailbreaking?

No, not really. iPhone bricks were the result of reflashing the BASEBAND of the device. The iPod touch doesn't even have a baseband you can screw with. But if you somehow manage it, we naturally can't be held liable.

12. Help, I bricked my iPod!

No, you didn't. If you seriously screwed it up, the first step is to put it into "Recovery Mode" so iTunes can recognize it.

First, get it to turn off, if you can't with normal methods: Hold down both the Stand-By and Home buttons until it turns off. It can take up to ten seconds (ten chronological seconds, not ten panickily rushed through seconds).

Second, put it into recovery mode:

1. Press and hold the Stand-by button
    2. Before the Apple logo appears, press and hold the Home button
    3. After the Apple logo appears, release the Stand-by button.
    4. Wait up to 30 seconds.
    5. After the Connect to iTunes picture appears, you can release the home button. Your iPod is now in recovery mode.

This procedure has moderately tricky timing and may have to be attempted a few times. If you mess up, accidentally release a button at the wrong time, etc. You'll have to shut down your iPod as previously described and start over.

After your iPod is in recovery mode, you can connect it to iTunes and restore.

13. OMG, iTunes gave an error during restore!

If your iPod is in recovery mode, I assure you this is a problem with your computer, not the iPod. Restarting the computer helps. Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes helps. Restoring on another computer helps. Worse comes to worse, going to the Apple Store and asking them to restore it helps. They're not going to be able to tell you've attempted a jailbreak.

14. My iPod is showing a blank white screen and won't respond to any of these steps!

That, my friend, is a brick. But it's a hardware related one, and related to the dock connector. Get your iPod replaced and get your dock replaced too. Apple will be happy to do it.

15. Can I use my iPod touch as a flash drive? or Will jailbreaking let me use my iPod touch as a flash drive?

No! And it's unlikely a hacked solution will appear.

Hacking the touch to support new USB protocols has never been done before. Even if that problem could be solved, the iPod touch's flash memory is formatted in HFS+, not FAT32 like the previous models. Only Macs would be able to read the disk! This problem is also solvable, but requires dynamically emulating a 16 GB FAT32 file system with a HFS+ file system as the backing store in the USB Mass Storage Device driver. Not an easy problem, especially on something with limited computational capacity.

You can still use the iPod touch to store files with SFTP, or a variety of other ways as well, but those require the presence of a wireless network and a client application wherever you want to access the files. (Those methods require jailbreak)

The following questions strongly tempt me into editorializing (I've resisted as far as I could):

16. I used jailbreakme.com or dn.vc/jb and there's now iTunes only shows 300 MB free on my iPod!

This is because you visited jailbreak.kengz.com or jailbreak.toc2rta.com first (which are only meant to be used for manual jailbreaks or older utilities). There's a variety of different tutorials (if you search) to help you resolve the "300 MB error", as it is often called. It's not even an error, however. Would you call the scaffolding around a building as it is being built an error?

17. What is jailbreaking? or How do I install applications after jailbreak? or (sadly often) lol i jailbrekd now wut??

Jailbreaking ALLOWS you to (relatively easily) install new applications on your iPod touch, but it doesn't do it for you! However, you cannot install new applications without jailbreaking, that includes iPhone applications. After you jailbreak, applications are not automatically installed. Instead, consider your device restored to a state like a brand new computer: You can install the applications you want or need on it.

You can install most third-party applications (i.e. non-iPhone applications) currently available with Installer. The name is a bit of a dead give-away, I would've thought. For iPhone applications, see #7

18. Why can't I FTP into my iPod?

SFTP is one of the features of SSH. SFTP is not the same as FTP. Use a client that supports SFTP.

19. Why can't I SSH or SFTP into my iPod?

First, make sure that SSH is enabled. If you jailbroke with dn.vc/jb or slovix.com/touchfree/jb, it is installed automatically. You can enable it by opening the installed SSH application and toggling the on/off switch. If you jailbroke with jailbreakme.com, you can install OpenSSH in Installer.app under System. You don't get the neat on/off switch, and the first login takes forever, but it will still work.

After that, try connecting with your SFTP or SSH client.

If your SFTP/SSH client gives you a "Connection refused" error, SSH is either not installed or not enabled on your iPod touch.

If your SFTP/SSH client gives you a "Connection timed out" error, your iPod touch is not connected to the wireless network. It might be sleeping or off, or maybe the wireless is just temporarily turned off to save power. You can ensure that this does not happen by browsing websites on Safari while trying to connect.

If your SFTP/SSH client complains about a "possible security breach", or keys being changed, confirm that you wish to connect. Every time you restore, the information that SSH uses to identify your iPod touch is naturally wiped. Every time you jailbreak, it's regenerated randomly. Therefore, to the computer the "identity" of your iPod touch will have changed and it will suspect that somebody is doing something fishy.

If your SFTP/SSH client gives you any other error, it is a problem with the network between your iPod touch and your computer, and your problem lies outside the scope of this FAQ.
  2. RedRoo

RedRoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks so much for doing this!
    Mods, I think this should be a sticky (although its not like we don't have zillion of stickies already with the same info, that people just can't be bothered to search..

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  3. mxnl1090

mxnl1090 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    this is a really good faq, it should be stickied
  4. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    this is awsome but idont need it but nee

good for newbies
  5. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to make this. It should help limit the double posts.

Stickied.
  6. 1pod_us3r

1pod_us3r New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice guide
  7. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks.

when a new update comes out will my ipod become un-jailbroken without restoring it? i hope thats true because i eventually want it unjailbroken without putting all my songs back on.
  8. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

Spyda: See #10.
  9. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    a I read that but dies it get unjailbroken or does it just take away your apps?
  10. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    a I read that but does it get unjailbroken or does it just take away your apps?