Way to install English apps on iPod touch in Japan?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ylurien, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Ylurien

Ylurien New Member

OK, the question is this (I will explain in more detail below):

Is there any way to install apps from the English iTunes store onto my iPod touch when I live in Japan?

I bought an iPod touch in the States on a recent visit back there. When I brought it back here to Japan, I tried to download some apps from the English iTunes app store but it won't let me as I need to have an America itunes account. The problem is, I can't open an American iTunes account because I don't have an American bank account or credit card. All of my credit cards and bank accounts are in Japan.

So is there maybe another way to provide payment to itunes so that I can download the apps from the English store here in Japan, or should I use jailbreak or something to download the app and install it?

It's pretty ridiculous that I can't install a free app on my iPod touch simply because of Apple's rules about not being able to open an account in any other country than the one in which you live in.

Please, someone let me know if you have any advice for me or if you need more information about the situation. I really appreciate it.
  2. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

Create a brand new account on the iTunes store with a new email. When you get to the payment options there will be a button on the far right that says no card or something of that nature. You'll be able to continue from there. You'll only be able to get free apps but it's good. I have accounts in 4 countries.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. jieo

jieo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    umm well if u simply jailbreak it getting the app would basically b illegal so ya... there is no source for cracked apps on cydia
  4. Ylurien

Ylurien New Member

Great! But I just tried to make a new account and there doesn't seem to be any option for "no card". Is this feature only present in older versions of iTunes maybe? I'm using iTunes 8.0 at the moment.
  5. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

Thats the version I did it on. When it shows the list of credit cards it will say visa, astercard, etc. And at the end it will say no payment or something. It has to be the first time you've tried that email account and maybe the first time you opened iTunes. Try reinstalling iTunes and make an account before you sync your iPod. If that doesn't work you'll have to buy a redeem card for iTunes. They basically carry them everywhere now. I saw some at my local gas station even.
  6. Ylurien

Ylurien New Member

Ok I got it, JohnyW. Thanks a million man.
  7. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

No problem. I love loopholes.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

There is actually
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Not on legitimate Cydia repos. And you don't need to crack to get apps from other countries - see the 'no Credit Card' thing above.
  10. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    works both ways. id like to be able to buy music from japan itunes. but it wont let you do the "no card" thingy for japan. or am i wrong?