Water = Disaster?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPodge2, Nov 9, 2009.

1. iPodge2

iPodge2 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi,

I am a huge ipod touch fan and have been using it everywhere on my travels to book hostels, check emails, even find good bars when our group is in a rubbish one! But the other night I foolishly jumped into a swimming pool at a night club forgetting that my ipod touch was in my pocket!! Disaster!

It now appears to be completely dead and I am in the process of using some dry rice to attempt to dry it out. This was suggested on a few blogs on this website... If this does not work does anyone know of a way to get non-syncing items such as my notes off the ipod touch? Can the hard drive in the device still be accessed even if the screen is broken?

Any advice/experience in this matter is great appreciated! And I apologise to all ipod touch users out there for my stupidity!!! I feel like I've lost an important body part since its gone!

iPodge 2

PS who took the username iPodge?!
  2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Have you already tryed turning your Device on? If yes, then the rice will probably not help anymore becaus the inside of the iDevice has already been fryed! (You can still try thow!)

I can't confirm this, as I never have had any water damage on any of my iPods.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Good Luck!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. iPodge2

iPodge2 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I was drunk at the time so I tried to turn it on... the device went very hot so I thought it was doing great work by drying itself out!!!

In hindsight I don't think this was the case... it was frying itself!

I just want to get the notes off and then I'll be happy; had some important info; i.e. email addresses and other notes in there.

If the hard drive is a flash drive is there a chance it can still be accessed? I don't have much hope that the device will work as it used to!

Thanks
  4. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    try plugging it in and see if it connects if not im sorry its a RIP
  5. petraeus

petraeus New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its time for you to buy another touch.
  6. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    aaw =( R.I.P (not sarcastic)
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Don't think you will be getting those notes off or ever using that iPod again.
  8. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    The iPod Touch is toast. BUT there is still hope...if you have recently connected it to iTunes, the notes were backed up. You will need a new iPod Touch. If you get one, just restore it from the backup of your old one.
  9. DoctorRon

DoctorRon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey,

Sad to say, but chances are you fried it. Pool water contains chlorine and minerals that conduct electricity through the water. Electricity will always seek out the shortest path to ground so DC probably went straight into the processor through pins that are not meant to take input voltage. The heat confirms this. I would be AMAZED if your RAM wasn't overwritten with all 1s or just fried altogether.

It kinda sucks, because usually when ANYTHING electronic gets wet a VERY quick power/battery disconnect followed by disassembly, cleaning (I use an ultrasonic toothbrush and a small bit of pcb cleaner and LIGHT pressure), and drying will usually get the device working again. I have soaked countless cellphones/laptops and have never once had one fry IF I got to the power fast enough. Good cleaning is a MUST as pop, tapwater, etc. leaves conductive paths on the pcb that can ruin the device if not cleaned and re-powered up.

Of course, I was a laptop technician (PowerBooks and Thinkpads mostly) for 15 years and taking out 452 tiny screws isn't an issue...I can usually get 'em back together. ; ')

Just as an FYI, <www.phonewreck.com> shows you how to disassemble/reassemble about every handheld device. A great resource IMHO!

Sorry about your loss,

DoctorRon
  10. Supertouch

Supertouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I had the same problem and tried to turn it on. im only 14 so I get some sympathy from those around me. Called apple, told them it wouldn't turn on. They sent a box, I shipped it out, it came back pronounced void of warrenty and dead, called apple and told them FEDEX did it... got a new one for $80