Water Damaged Ipod Touch Help...please!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by japas, Aug 15, 2010.

1. japas

japas New Member

Hi all!

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with my unwelcomed 'project'.

I bought a 16GB 2nd gen ipod touch on ebay and the seller just stated it would not restore. I've never owned an iDevice before but I thought I could fix it. I got it, plugged it in and started working on it. I eventually did get it to restore using 2.1.1 firmware but the newer firmwares failed. The only problem was that the screen would not come on so I decided to open it up.

Upon opening it I discovered that it had corrosion from water emersion(which the seller did not disclose in the ad...I found out later that she listed it for her daughter and did not know about it)

I decided I would try to clean it up so I disassembled it and desoldered the battery. It cleaned up pretty nicely and I put it back together. With the battery resoldered it starts up and goes to the 'connect to itunes' screen.

Now my problem....it will not restore with any firmware! All the firmwares produce errors in itunes except firmware 3.0. This firmware gets the ipod to the apple screen with the loading bar under it. The ipod fills the bar and then just sits. Itunes reports that it is waiting for ipod.

I've read dozens of forum posts, articles, etc that say I need to get it into DFU mode. I think this may be the real issue...

1. Most 'guides' I've read about DFU mode say that you have to connect the touch to the computer and then turn it off as the first step...I can turn it off but it shortly turns itself back on.

2. I'm not 100% sure the home button works on this ipod

I've tried a program called DFU.exe to get it to DFU however it just says "Looking for iphone" and doesn't do anything more. I read iLiberty can get it into DFU but it doesn't recognize my device. I've tried the manually modifying the .ipsw file method to get it to DFU but itunes states something about the firmware is not compatible.

If anyone has anything else I can try I sure would appreciate it! I'm about to throw in the towel on this one...
  2. japas

japas New Member

anyone?
  3. thornet

thornet New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Have you tried recovery mode?
    Anton
  4. japas

japas New Member

Yes, I believe recovery mode is what I'm stuck in but it will not take any firmware with exception of 3.0...to a point as stated above
  5. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Water damage = f00ked iPod

You should try to get your $ back from the shady eBay seller, or use that iPod for parts. You may be able to get that iPod to work, but who knows for how long?

What you could try is to let the battery TOTALLY drain, then plug the sucker in.