Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ianonavy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ianonavy

ianonavy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My idiot of a friend tried to fix my non-responsive power button by sticking it in water. Although that worked to fix the power button, he unfortunately damaged the touchscreen. All physical buttons work, and the screen shows a display, but the it doesn't respond to touch. I found out hours later after leaving it on that I could VNC into it to activate SBSettings and shut the damn thing off. Afterwards, I stuck it in a bag of rice and it's been sitting in there for a while now. It has been off and in that bag since the incident last night. How long should I leave it there before attempting to even turn it on? It's a valuable tool for my schoolwork and I'll be needing it quite soon.

Thanks.
  2. ipodluverlikestotouch

ipodluverlikestotouch New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i just got a brand new 3G 64gb ipod touch as my mum put my other one through the washing machine. just take you ipod into an apple store if your ipod is under warranty and get a brand new one

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple check the litmus paper indicator inside the headphone and USB cable sockets for signs of water damage. If the paper is pink they probably will not exchange as the warranty does not cover water damage.

To the OP - leave the device in rice for as long as possible. I'd say at the very least a few days and if possible minimum one week. However as you've powered it up you may have fried some internal components so don't expect it to work.

Rule of thumb for water damage is not to turn it on until it's dried out.
  4. d.wig

d.wig New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Make your friend show some responsibility and pay for a new one? If apple won't replace. Unless you okayed it, then you're on your own. Hope it works.
  5. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I read somewhere that you could easily make the lithmus paper white again by using whiteout.
  6. CarlosTheJackl

CarlosTheJackl Member

7. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lying to Apple? Not a good thing.
  8. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i once returned a water damage ipod to costco within the 90 day warranty for costco, they didnt care lol.
  9. ianonavy

ianonavy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Warranty's gone, so there's no going there. I bought it at Best Buy too. By the way, I didn't "power it on," it was already on when he quickly ran it under the sink for a few seconds. Couldn't shut it off because the touch screen didn't let me slide to power off--I had to VNC to shut down via SBSettings.