Water damage?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by removed_user02, Apr 14, 2009.

1. removed_user02

removed_user02 New Member

Hey I was listening to my ipod today when it starting drizzling on my way to class. I had the ipod in a case and a few drops came in contact with the touch screen and it worked fine until a few hours later it behaved erratically. It would be on the home screen and try to cut itself off like I had touched the power button when I didn't. The volume would mysteriously raise itself to full volume even when i turned it down, it did the same thing over. Thing is I checked the headphone jack and the litmus paper was good and even the Apple store was baffled. I got a new one but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?
  2. InsertiPodHere

InsertiPodHere New Member

First of all, I have never knew you can check the litmus paper yourself, can you please tell me how?

Second of all, I have used my iPod in rain before, and it was a STORM, not drizzle, and it still works pretty good, I even clean the screen with extremely wet towels, and the results are great (looks like new after wash). So it leaves me wondering of it's if every iPod act like this or just that I got lucky and got an extremely water resistant one...

Anyways, congrats on getting a new one.
  3. Itoucheater

Itoucheater Banned

wow dudes hold up
    its not like if water gets on yr ipod it instantly killed, the water has to acutqally do something

iT depends if the water gets anywhere INSIDE and possibly short circuits something its not like one ipod can be more water resistant than another one it all depends wether the water gets anywhere inside, most likely through the bottom

cleaning it wit wet towels doesent nessicarly get water inside. i listen to my ipod in the rain all the time, im jus careful not to get any inside

and the litmus paper checked by yr self? how?
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    You can check it just by looking in your headphone jack? Its white normally and i think it turns a pink color when wet?
  5. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you have I light leak the water may have entered there the same way dust does. I just read a post on yahoo about a person dropping their classic in a puddle. They said to put it I. A bowl of rice for a few days. The rice absorbs the water. Idk but the person said that their iPod works now.
  6. Swikity

Swikity New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This shows you how to check the litmus paper:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302

And yeah, I've heard that putting your iPod in rice for a few days can fix water damage also.
  7. removed_user02

removed_user02 New Member

Yeah you can check by looking in the headphone jack. Mine was still white. The only possiblity I could think of is that water must of got between the ipod and the case itself and found its way into the Ipod through the USB charging slot since I had headphones on during the storm.