Water -> Battery Empty Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Warstrong, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Warstrong

Warstrong New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Water -> Battery Empty Screen? (iPhone)

Short version:
    iPhone 3G w/ water damage- no luck w/ rice

Please Register or Log in to view images

, but when it's plugged in, I get the screen you get when you've completely drained your battery and it needs to be charged more in order to boot. Should I bother to replace the battery, or just sell it broken for (hopefully) ~$125 on eBay? PM if you're interested in buying and post with ANY insight you have. Much appreciated!

Longer version:
    My friend dropped an iPhone 3G in water. I suggested that she put it in dry cooking rice for 10 days but it didn't work

- I figured she had fried something by trying to turn the phone on after it was "killed" by the water. Over a month later, she has given the phone to me and I have the responsibility to resell it for as much money as possible. I'm planning on putting it on eBay with a $125 Buy It Now price but if I could fix it with a new battery, that would be incredible. I'm just thinking that since the screen seems to be unharmed and enough of the memory survived so that it could present that battery graphic, which also means the logic board is in decent condition, is it likely that it's just the battery? Should I bother to replace the battery, or just sell it broken for (hopefully) ~$125 on eBay? PM if you're interested in buying and post with ANY insight you have. Much appreciated!

2. InchWorm

InchWorm Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    who would buy a broken ipod touch 8gb MC model bought in April for $125 when they can get a new one for only $75 more... that $75 is the price of a new battery + the inconvenience of having to take apart the ipod...
  3. macdude2

macdude2 Member

If I were you, I would tell her to just get an iphone 4.
  4. Warstrong

Warstrong New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm all for laziness, but jesus christ, read the post- it had NOTHING to do with my iPod Touch!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Mission accomplished

She got one a couple weeks ago, last one in her area as a matter of fact

But we're looking to make some money off the old one and I'm just hoping to get someone's advice on this- basically it boils down to whether or not the screen I'm getting stuck at indicates that the only thing wrong with the phone is the battery, or if there's a good chance it wouldn't reboot after replacing the battery.
  5. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I watched borat and now I will attempt an american joke.

I will buy the $125 iphone which has a logic board problem and probably the battery is fried!.....NOT! Put it on eBay, someone will buy but not for $125 unless they are crazy.
  6. Warstrong

Warstrong New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Like I said, I'm looking to see if you guys think the battery screen I'm seeing is an indication that everything is pretty much fine except for the battery... surely someone in the community can provide valuable insight? And yes, I realize $125 is high, but it'll be a buy it now and someone will likely bid lower, more around $80 at least... The phone is in great condition except for the water damage!