Warranty Question

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by biggymac609, Dec 26, 2008.

1. biggymac609

biggymac609 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Ok so my uncle has an iPhone 1st generation and i unlocked it for him.
    it stopped working, so (in new york) he took it to the store but they said they cant fix it because its been unlocked

he gave it to me and said do what you want with it

after playing with it i discovered the battery doesnt work at all, when plugged in it works fine

so i can easily "virginize" the phone, and make it like new

my question is, if i bring it to apple, and ask for a new one, will they have in their records that it has been unlocked?

and if so, would i be able to just say, O, i got it from my friend, i never did anything to it

any advice would help

thanks a lot
  2. joorowned

joorowned New Member

What do u mean unlocked? Do u mean jailbroken? If so, u can restore it and they cant tell the difference.
  3. biggymac609

biggymac609 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    i know that
    my question is, when my uncle brought it to the store, did they mark in his ipod's "profile" that it has been unlocked?

and when i say unlocked i mean jailbroken too
  4. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

no. they wont just make sure u restore and ur on a warrenty and i'll be fine
  5. joorowned

joorowned New Member

I highly doubt (dont take my word for it though) there is a data system that shows a list of jailbroken iPod Touch's like a criminal database haha. Theres no harm is restoring your iPod Touch and "trying" to swap it out for another.
  6. biggymac609

biggymac609 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    ya im going to try for sure

but what im saying is when they put in your ipod's serial number, it shows its profile:
    like if its been altered, songs, when it was bought, the warranty etc

is it possible that its controlled through the internet, and when it was originally brought to the apple store and my uncle was denied service, they checked a box that said: jailbroken/warranty nullified
  7. Blaze_Blaster

Blaze_Blaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i doubt that they keep a record. You probably just need to restore and take it in. also make sure that water hasn't gone into the headphone jack, and you'll be fine
  8. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If you don't try, you'll never know, and you have no possible way of replacing the iPod.

If you do try and they do surprisingly have such a database, what's the worse that can happen? They say no. That's all.