Warranty and Jailbreak and You.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by melterx12, Jun 26, 2009.

1. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hello, I just felt I should clear something up. It seems to me that most people are scared of jailbreaking because it voids apple's warranty. This is totally untrue. If you Restore your device to factory settings via iTunes, there is no way Apple can tell if you have a jailbroken device.

That being said, Ive read in a number of places that apple geniuses can use ther diagnostic utility to tell if your device has ever been jailbroken. I can say, from personal experience, that this is FALSE.

I have returned both my iphone 3G, formerly Jailbroken and restored, AND my dad's iPod Touch 1G, also formerly Jailbroken and restored. Both times the Genius said that he will take the device to run a diagnostic on it. He came back and replaced the device on both occasions no questions asked. The Diagnostic utility, simply due to software limitations, CANNOT read information that has been deleted prior. Such technology costs lots of money to use, and I beleive it only works on magnetic disk Hard Drives.

Note on restoring:
    When you restore you MUST restore via iTunes, Shift+Click the Restore Button, and select an .IPSW firmware on your PC. Using this method will format the device. Restoring by just clicking Restore or via iPod (Reset all settings) may leave some files behind! Also, after restore, you should click set up as a new iPod, or not click anything at all. If you choose restore from backup, the iPod will be synced to a previous backup of your iPod, which may include some jailbroken data, such as a custom carrier logo!
  2. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Phew!
    Thanks. This will help alot of people.
    You might actually get this thread stickied.
    :O
  3. PlasticPenguin

PlasticPenguin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah very usefull for new people
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Most of us have known this for a long time but for the n00bs this will probably help.
  5. Blackhaze

Blackhaze Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well not always.... My brother used the Make-It-Mine App on Cydia and the iBlank app and those stay even after restore... So just be careful...
  6. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah if you let your iPod restore from a backup then the MakeItMine settings stay there.
  7. Blackhaze

Blackhaze Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    lol maybe thats what he did.... Hes so dumb sometimes....
  8. neivin93

neivin93 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Awesome !!

Holy Cow !!
    Is this really true ??
    My friend told me that once you jailbreak your device something in your iPod changes and Apple just checks that tiny setting or whatever and can tell whethther you've ever jailbroken your device !
    If this is true I'm definitely jailbreaking my iPod touch !!!
    THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I HADN'T JAILBROKEN MY iPod touch !!!
  9. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They can't check anything. I have parents that work for Apple and my device is jailbroken.
  10. flintchip

flintchip New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    pretty sure most apple employees jailbreak lol