WARNING - Stay Away from SharePod!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Unreal Boy, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Just a heads up to all iPad users, I would recommend to STAY AWAY from SharePod for transfering music files to and from your iPad.

I was just testing it out and added a few songs using sharepod, and i thought it was all fine, everything appeared normal.

However, when i ejected my ipad and attempted to play some of the songs i just added, it made the ipod app crash.

I tried syncing with itunes next, and it said "cannot recognize ipad" and it only gave me the option to revert to factory settings AND automatically update the firmware to 3.22 (WHICH IS BAD BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO JAILBREAK THEN)

SOLUTION
    I found a solution to this problem that doesn't involve having to revert to factory settings and update. Use another third party program (i used media monkey) to remove all your songs, then add like 1 song and sync and then you should be able to sync with itunes
  2. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thats the thing... You ADDED songs from sharepod. The only thing you should have been doing is to get the songs out of it. That why you messed up. Only iTunes should be adding songs. Not a 3rd party software. Please use your number six.
  3. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Just use iTunes and you wont run in to any problems.
  4. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Number 6? Its not for syncing, its for recorvering.
  5. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Six sense... You know your sen... never mind.

I mean in a nut shell use common sense.
  6. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    I was just getting fed up with itunes, whenever you move the location of the original song file, it becomes unplayable and unsyncable through itunes unless you respecify the file path and this gets RIDICULOUS when its like 50 songs

And SharePod has worked FLAWLESSLY for me in the past for my ipod touch 2g so i assumed it would be fine

And media monkey actually works and its 3rd party
  7. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well you can use itunes and go to file>organise library>consolidate files.

I don't have a sixth sense.
  8. Matt_Maggots

Matt_Maggots Banned

That never happens to me. Then again, I have a Mac, I would expect the same for a PC.
  9. Phantombadger

Phantombadger New Member

Says you.
    4 out of the last 5 times Ive plugged my ipod into Itunes I got this is not the same library as yadda yadda your library will be removed, do you want to sync. I hit yes and I get a clean ipod go figure. This issue was never apparent when I used my Ipod Classic in winamp. Winamp when it syncs adds files to the list not deleting what there. 64gb Ipod takes awhile to intelligently fill and if it resets EVERYTIME you plug it in its a GIANT WASTE OF TIME.

why use itunes. using other mp3 players with anything allows you to sync with ease to and from the device. I tunes is library restricted, if you system restore or remove itunes or restore the OS the Itunes library is different from that on the ipod. Do I want to create an account, Why, I buy my CDs from shows and are free to rip them to as many computers in my possession as many times as possible and put them onto and take off of my MP3 player as many times as possible.

Itunes has poor mass tagging and folder management. Example. a multiartist contributing album like D12. each song is then broken up into each artist being classified under its own folder. the Result is that I now I have 12 folders for 1 album instead of 1 like it should be.

Itunes does not monitor Folders. sure it will manage a folder to organize it in a mess, but it will not monitor a folder. So if I use WMP Which I have found to rip my CDs and place them in a SINGLE folder in my music simply as I like it, then want to access it in Itunes to put it on my Ipod, cuz I CAN ONLY USE ITUNES, I wont see the album right away I have to physically add the album folder to the library. Winamp can scan on startup 15 sec and I see the album in my media library, ready to play or sync to my device.

Also no menu option under right click like Send to or add to sync. which makes gathering much easier.Also adding Media the library is much faster. can be done in the background, and Winamp reads FLAC, among other formats that one might want.
  10. GreenJuice

GreenJuice New Member

More details on another solution for Sharepod problem

I had the same problem as the OP with my iPhone 4S.

Sharepod works well when uploading stuff from PC. Problems seem to occur when writing to a device, which is what happened to me when I pushed just one song to it without using iTunes. At the moment, I don't think Sharepod works with the current iOS and the developer has taken steps to prevent harm, but I didn't know and didn't get any warnings before using the 'Copy to iPod' function.

Immediately after the file transfer, iTunes failed to recognise the device and asked to Restore to factory settings. If you see this, DON'T PANIC!

I used Unreal Boy's idea - another freeware product called CopyTrans Manager to delete that one song and 'update' the device library. This fixed the corrupted library and iTunes recognised the device immediately. I did not need to delete any more songs, and so this solution is quicker. I could sync as normal and did not need to Restore the phone (whew!).

Hope this helps somebody who was stuck like me!
    reinovacio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.