iOS 4.0 :: Warning on iPad images in your iOS ::

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by rykah, Aug 11, 2010.

1. rykah

rykah Member

DO NOT go triggerhappy with image deletion in Springboard.app for the sake of making your device faster, even if it isn't used for your device. I screwed over my 3GS this way-- I deleted every image that was designed for the iPad (ones with T in it, or 72, or variations of images with Portrait and Landscape).

Springboard.app crashed, and wouldn't start up. A hard reset didn't cut it, and I tried that after an unsuccessful respring. It tried repeatedly to start SpringBoard and failed constantly. Luckily I remembered that while it's 1 AM Central Time, it's only 11 PM Pacific Time. That meant Apple hasn't stopped 0.1 signing (at around midnight), and I can still restore using a saved restore file and still be jailbroken. I was almost in tears. ;-;

All this means: Alter images for YOUR device, and do it CAREFULLY. I know it sounds obvious, but it's true. The iPad images aren't even loaded into non-iPad springboards, so DO NOT TOUCH.

I probably won't be able to answer questions due to sleep and restorative work, but I'll see what I can do in the morning.
    ...well, later this morning.
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Handy tip: Unless you exactly what you are doing and have made a proper backup, LEAVE THE SPRINGBOARD FOLDER ALONE. Really, you shouldn't EVER delete anything out of SpringBoard EVER.
  3. rykah

rykah Member

Yeah, I know. I was replacing files and backing up files (mainly in the Switcher/Folder department) with success and glee, and I thought: Ya know what? I'm not using these iPad images.

I'm a dolt.
  4. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yer, i did this before and I didn't have ssh access long enough during a respiring attempt cycle to copy in the springboard app backup I'd made. I h ad to update to 3.2.1 which at the time wasn't jail broken. I was in tears!
  5. rykah

rykah Member

It's really weird though, how an iPhone relies on unused iPad images to work properly...
  6. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I keep a backup of everything, I installed this tweak, anything I delete, gets converted to .bak.

Be careful, don't get c*cky and say you know everything, you are not me,jk.
  7. rykah

rykah Member

I'm sorry, but I didn't host a tweak here. Plus, this topic is über old.

I just held ALT and pressed 0252, I had no clue it would come up with the letter I needed for über. LOL
  8. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I don't think that you crashed your Springboard this way. A mobileSubstrate Addon HAD to have caused it, those images(Unless ones installed by a MS addon) are loaded even in safemode.

I have gone through and deleted all the iPad images and iPhone 4 images from my iPhone 3G and it runs pretty snappily.

Just make sure you know what you'r doing.
  9. rykah

rykah Member

All I know is that I resprung, deleted evey iPad image in SpringBoard.app, and resprung again. The second one didn't work, and I went into a never-ending crash loop.
  10. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You must have deleted something important.. Removing images(Even ones it uses) have no effect on the OS, that Image just wont show up in the UI. You might have deleted a plist on accident or a file you thought you didn't need.